Publicans fear home keg another nail in the coffin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a crock of shit. So people havent been buying slabs of beer to drink at home for years?

People will still go out to drink maybe just not as often as it too bloody pricey!!

A 3 litre keg, which costs $28 to refill?

3 litres is equivalent to 4 longnecks., so that's $7 per 750ml longneck.

More expensive than beer in normal bottles or cans. Even more expensive than a Coopers longneck, and there you get to keep the empty for your homebrew.

What are they worried about? Oh, I forgot, publicans can't do the math. Can't see it being taken up by too many.

I think with the way Pubs run these days their Beer trade is a relatively small part of a publicans income.

Most pubs now have Restaurant type meals of which they do quite well from plus most usually have late nights and do bloody well financially pouring in mixed drinks to the young people to young who can't handle it.

Anyway I'm not sure how Mrs Bent's humour would be if I put a 3 ltr keg of beer in the fridge....wouldn't be pretty!

They are 5L, but still absolutely terrible value; you're essentially trading 4L for the novelty of having it in a keg. Personally I'd rather 9L in bottles for my money.

I can fill a 19 litre keg for between $10 - $15 with much better beer. This won't be changing my drinking habits.

Back