Pub kpa vs home kpa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was going to take a corny into a pub I work at to share around after hours but when I was figuring out how I was going to manage the compatibility the only issue I came across was the co2 pressure.

So at home I carbonate (set n forget) at around 80kpa and don't change for dispensing but when I look at what the pub co2 is running at it is a very different story.

Pub co2 is running at around 210kpa. Cool room is at around 2-3 deg which is not that different to my temp so how is it that the pub kegs don't overcarbonate?

Maybe gas line length is a factor? Probably only 6-8m

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

Pubs run larger diameter beer line I think. Maybe that's it?

balconybrewer said:
Hi all,

I was going to take a corny into a pub I work at to share around after hours but when I was figuring out how I was going to manage the compatibility the only issue I came across was the co2 pressure.

So at home I carbonate (set n forget) at around 80kpa and don't change for dispensing but when I look at what the pub co2 is running at it is a very different story.

Pub co2 is running at around 210kpa. Cool room is at around 2-3 deg which is not that different to my temp so how is it that the pub kegs don't overcarbonate?

Maybe gas line length is a factor? Probably only 6-8m

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers
I think they use cellar mix, a mix of nitrogen and CO2

EDIT: beaten to the punch

The idea is that they can use higher pressure to push the beer through very long lines from the cellar to the bar without affecting carbonation of the beer. Nitrogen doesn't dissolve well in beer.

If the pub cellar or cool room is underground, like at a lot of older pubs, you have to overcome the height.
If the keg is 5 metres below the serving point, that is another 50 KPa of pressure.

So based on the replies so far, if I take a corny there that has been carbed on my system do I need to increase its carbonation or just hook up to their gas and should be sweet?

Do you have commercial keg disconnects on your corny??
If not how would you be able to connect your keg to the gas at the pub?
Also are you planning on using the pub taps ?

I have some adapters that go from ball lock to commercial connectors. Yes if I am taking it to the pub and hooking up to their gas the idea is to go through their taps

Latest posts

Back