Psycho with Citra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colo

Reaction score
Hello Fellow brewers,

One of my last creations was a Citra PA which is currently sitting in a 21.5 litre cube waiting to be fermented. While reading different recipes and articles I have come across the advice that you shouldn't use too much Citra otherwise you start getting garlic flavours through the beer.

I'm thinking I may have gone a little nutso, I cube hopped with 100gm's of Citra so now I'm a little scared of what the end results going to be...:oops:

I also have another 60gm's to dry hop, thankfully I haven't gotten that far yet.

Hello Fellow brewers,

One of my last creations was a Citra PA which is currently sitting in a 21.5 litre cube waiting to be fermented. While reading different recipes and articles I have come across the advice that you shouldn't use too much Citra otherwise you start getting garlic flavours through the beer.

I'm thinking I may have gone a little nutso, I cube hopped with 100gm's of Citra so now I'm a little scared of what the end results going to be...:oops:

I also have another 60gm's to dry hop, thankfully I haven't gotten that far yet.

Definitely come across the onion/garlic character of some hops (eg summit) but neither read nor experienced it with citra.

I did have an odd flavour develop in a couple of beers using citra but that may be coincidental and definitely not garlicky. Mine also used sane levels of hopping - just hoppy pales.

And taste it - you'll know if you like it (although flavours change with time : some good, some bad).

Definitely come across the onion/garlic character of some hops (eg summit) but neither read nor experienced it with citra.

I did have an odd flavour develop in a couple of beers using citra but that may be coincidental and definitely not garlicky. Mine also used sane levels of hopping - just hoppy pales.

Are you saying 100g's is sane or insane? Have only just started upping my hop quantities to try and get more hoppy goodness coming through.

Sane Colo. Get back to us when you're cubing hopping 300g or more. Might want to change your hop if you go that high, I have zero experience with citra... yet.
My regular is IPA is 230g of Amarillo to a cube at -10 min

A friend gave me 280gms of Citra as he bought a kg....Sunday night I threw in 280gms Citra into 60l dry hop so just over 4.5g/l
Same beer had several hops (incl Citra) put in a whirlpool and hop back ~ enough to get 45 ibu's into a 60ltr batch at 1.044OG something around the 250gms or another 4g/l = 8.5g/l late additions/hop back/dry hop

Unless the garlic comes from huge Late additions of just Citra, I'll know on Sunday after a 5 day dry hop at 20C and report back.

You'll be right mate

Are you saying 100g's is sane or insane? Have only just started upping my hop quantities to try and get more hoppy goodness coming through.

Neither - just that my levels are not pushing any boundaries. I'm not a kg of hops per litre kind of guy.

Hey Day Tripper,

What is the gravity of the IPA wort and the expected IBU from that amount into the cube?

OG 1057 and I was pretty sure it worked out to about 55ibu. Got it written somewhere at home, I'll get back to ya. Give it a good dry hop and a keg hop = super delicious.

I know a guy...
I am sure you would, now I am thinking of doing it too...

Latest posts

Back