Prunes In The Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
So I've got a crapload of prunes without their pips. Says on wiki that prunes are 38% sugaz - so I'm thinking that ~600g will replace 250-300g addition of cane sugar I have previously used in this recipe (Belgian).

Got thinking though - in the boil, will I get astringency? Pectins that won't floc out with the floccer?

I'm not really looking to get an overpowering prune taste, so was trying to avoid adding them to the fermenter or secondary - kinda want a bit of flavour boiled off - they're really stinky.

Anyone boiled dried fruit? Dark dried fruit especially?

By adding an ingredient like that, I thought you would want to embrace the ingredient?

By adding an ingredient like that, I thought you would want to embrace the ingredient?

The recipe calls for them to be only a small part of the flavour - not dominant. The whole kitchen smells like an old people's home.

Any idea whether boiling them will be okay?

Can I treat them like pumpkin?

Here's the recipe (the sugar will be subbed with the equivalent prune sugar amount). Will be heavily spiced in secondary:

Chimay Noel (Belgian Dubbel)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.072 (P): 17.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 7.50 %
Colour (SRM): 21.6 (EBC): 42.6
Bitterness (IBU): 15.5 (Average)

80% Pilsner
8% Cane Sugar
5.71% Caramunich III
4.57% Candi Sugar, Dark
1.71% Caraaroma

1.3 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

So I've got a crapload of prunes without their pips. Says on wiki that prunes are 38% sugaz - so I'm thinking that ~600g will replace 250-300g addition of cane sugar I have previously used in this recipe (Belgian).

Got thinking though - in the boil, will I get astringency? Pectins that won't floc out with the floccer?

I'm not really looking to get an overpowering prune taste, so was trying to avoid adding them to the fermenter or secondary - kinda want a bit of flavour boiled off - they're really stinky.

Anyone boiled dried fruit? Dark dried fruit especially?

I've often wondered about this myself. I've made a prune stout, with prune juice added with the wort to the fermenter but never boiled.

My main concern has always been the pectin issue. Prunes are plums, and stone fruit have a crap load of pectins in them (which is one reason you get the trots when you eat too many). I don't recon astringency would be a problem, especially if you only boiled long enough for them to fall apart and for sterilisation purposes.

How dark is the beer? A few precipitating pectins might not be such an issue if it is already a fairly viscous brew.

jyo had some good success with chopping up dates and boiling the sugars out on the stovetop (in water) and adding the liquid to his ferment. I'd go with that approach (or adding the liquid to the boil) rather than adding the fruit to the boil, if only to cut down on the gunk in the kettle.

The whole kitchen smells like an old people's home.
Any idea whether boiling them will be okay?
Can I treat them like pumpkin?

No idea but plenty of old folks eat stewed prunes!
I would imagine that they would have been treated with sulphur dioxide. Whether this would be enough to affect yeast I do not know (but suspect not). Boiling should drive it off?
+1 to Nick R's suggestion.

Similar to Nick R, I have brewed in the last month a clone of the 21st Amendments 'Allies win the war' (receipe from Brew your own) which included 1/2 kg of chopped dates in the secondary for 5 days (50L batch size). Definately can taste the presence of the dates in the beer and it is well balanced and not too overpowering either.

My 2c.

MWS

make your beer, keep the prunes and make aged plum puds for christmas. next weekend is christmas pud time for me.

Freezing fruit will break down the pectin

Edit: ive got 4 mangoes in the freezer for a Wit Bier for this reason

Freezing fruit will break down the pectin

Edit: ive got 4 mangoes in the freezer for a Wit Bier for this reason

Aha!

I read a little about a pectic enzyme, but that seems easier - although at 21 SRM, I'm not sure clarity will be an issue, but I do love the way the caraaroma and the candi syrup make it glow red when held up to a light.

The prunes are probably going to add another 10 SRMs if the colour of the bowl I pitted them has gone. :eek:

Just read that overcooking jam can also break down pectin ... so if I boil the pureed prunes for ages, it might still clear.

make your beer, keep the prunes and make aged plum puds for christmas. next weekend is christmas pud time for me.

Kinda going for plum pud beer really...

I really loathe marzipan (hence the not-xmas cake) but a little almond escence might be the go in the last few bottles.

Aha!

I read a little about a pectic enzyme, but that seems easier - although at 21 SRM, I'm not sure clarity will be an issue, but I do love the way the caraaroma and the candi syrup make it glow red when held up to a light.

The prunes are probably going to add another 10 SRMs if the colour of the bowl I pitted them has gone. :eek:

Just read that overcooking jam can also break down pectin ... so if I boil the pureed prunes for ages, it might still clear.

Ive used pectiase before but only in a Melomel (fruit mead)

Dont think i would use it in beer

Not sure why but doesn't seem right

Don't add them unless you are aged 80+ years old.

I was watching a cooking show a while back (think it was the Cook and the Chef) and they said no one ever buys "Prune Pie", but if you call it...

...Dried Plum Pie, people love the stuff.

From here on, they shall be known as dried plums. :D

Come to think of it, even that sounds like scrotum beer.

I was watching a cooking show a while back (think it was the Cook and the Chef) and they said no one ever buys "Prune Pie", but if you call it...

...Dried Plum Pie, people love the stuff.

From here on, they shall be known as dried plums. :D

Come to think of it, even that sounds like scrotum beer.

i guess he'll be making beer with someone elses scrotum

Sounds really interesting.

I'm wondering whether chopping them finely, adding boiling water and boiling for 5 -10 minutes, then sparging off the clear liquid and caramelising like I've done with dates would be the go. Then just add it in the last ten minutes of the boil?

Not sure about the prunes, but dates (I have used up to 500gms in a 23 litres batch) seem to give off mainly some lovely caramelised esters, with a nice, earthy, background flavour, but they fade out and meld in over 6months +, which is to be expected I suppose. Tried them in a BDS, ESB and a Blonde.

I was warned about the pectins and all the bottles of the BDS I brewed that traveled, once stirred up, did not clear out. Even after days in the fridge. All the bottles I had at home, in the fridge for a few days, had mild chill haze, but once warmed up a touch were see-through ruby red.

edit- Had minimal haze issues with the blonde and ESB

Have a crack.

Looks like what Chimps smear on the wooden enclosure poles and then lick off. I'm tempted to fling some just to satisfy my instincts.

Enough there to shit a brick, I reckon. This is gonna be one gooey Belgian. There's one in the middle there that actually resembles a bunghole.

IMG_3587.jpg

Back