Protein Rest - What Is It And Is It Handy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
krausenhaus said:
Just to clarify, beta-glucans are polysaccharides, not proteins. At protein rest temperatures, you have proteolytic enzymes working on protein and beta-glucanases working on beta-glucans. Targeting long proteins is for improving haze & head retention, while for beta glucans it's gummy mashes.
Pretty sure it was already cleared up by the above post, but less waffle. MMMhm waffle :icon_drool2:

HoppingMad said:
Ok, I've come to the understanding that to make a good AG wheat beer I need to do a protein rest.

Trouble is I have no idea what one is. Or how to do one. Or what the benefit of doing one is.

The searching I've done suggests the following:

"A protein rest is a portion of the mashing process. Typically, it is the first step in mashing. To conduct a protein rest, add 1 quart of water to each pound of grain. Hold at about 120 to 135�F for 20 to 30 minutes. Then, proceed on to the starch conversion rest by adding another half quart of boiling water."

So if I read this right, when I start my brew I effectively steep my grain as a first step between 45-55 degrees celcius? Then raise the temp up after 30 mins to my regular mash temp of 67 degrees and commence regular mashing?

Would this be right?

What does a protein rest do exactly? Do you need them for wheat beers? If its just for improving clarity I can live without it as most wheats I've drunk seem to be cloudy.

Any thoughts from the wise, fire away :)

Hopper.
Theres a good AG Wheat Beer???

Back