Quantcast

Proposed tax hike on Cider

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Joined
19/2/09
Messages
11,585
Reaction score
909
Assuming that we accept alcohol should be taxed (let's not have that discussion though) what is wrong with the proposal?


proposes a rationalised alcohol tax system based on a volumetric tax across all alcohol products that taxes drinks based on their alcohol content.
Seems fair to me. Also fixes the complaints many have re: beer taxation vs wine taxation.
 

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Joined
6/4/05
Messages
3,651
Reaction score
1,052
As someone who is looking seriously at starting a cidery... I jolly well hope not.
 

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Joined
6/4/05
Messages
3,651
Reaction score
1,052
The distilled spirits industry has argued traditional ciders are robbing its market on the back of the massive price advantage they enjoy. It argues that to consumers, ciders and pre-mixed spirits are the same, contain the same level of alcohol and should therefore be treated the same by the Tax Office.
FFS!

Ok.. may be true of shitty strongbow but for a craft cider? FFS!
 

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Joined
9/6/08
Messages
19,838
Reaction score
4,393
My late Dad had a full career in the UK Police as a bobby on the beat, then later a member of a sort of SWAT team and then he eased back to just pursuit driving on motorways. He also had distinct views on the emerging "Nanny State" in the UK.

On his only visit to Australia his comments were, My God this is a REAL police state.......and we only think we have a Nanny State in Britain.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Edit: well at least they can't ban Aldi apple juice, and cider yeast will be held at secure, secret safe houses for redistribution to the faithful of the underground cider cells.
 

drsmurto

Well-Known Member
Joined
5/12/06
Messages
5,071
Reaction score
528
Location
Northern Adelaide Hills
Alcohol should be taxed at the same volumetric rate regardless of product.

It costs the health system billions of dollars annually.
 

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Joined
9/6/08
Messages
19,838
Reaction score
4,393
So when cask wine - the choice of the poor - is $40 that's food the kid's won't be getting? Alcohol abuse (like other addictions) arises because of the miserable conditions of many peoples' lives. Instead of taxing and raising revenue on misery, maybe society should be fixed first. For example, with all its faults I don't see American society suffering from the likes of schoolies, Kings Cross or Fortitude Valley on Saturday nights - and their taxes are minuscule compared to ours.

There, thread derailed


B)
 

drsmurto

Well-Known Member
Joined
5/12/06
Messages
5,071
Reaction score
528
Location
Northern Adelaide Hills
Bribie G said:
So when cask wine - the choice of the poor - is $40 that's food the kid's won't be getting? Alcohol abuse (like other addictions) arises because of the miserable conditions of many peoples' lives. Instead of taxing and raising revenue on misery, maybe society should be fixed first. For example, with all its faults I don't see American society suffering from the likes of schoolies, Kings Cross or Fortitude Valley on Saturday nights - and their taxes are minuscule compared to ours.

There, thread derailed


B)
Alcohol is a poison that costs our health system millions. Without taxes, how do we fund it?
 

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Joined
4/11/08
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
453
DrSmurto said:
Alcohol is a poison that costs our health system millions. Without taxes, how do we fund it?
This is never a question a country with universal health care should ask itself. Even America is finally seeing the foolishness of it's ways.

But that's not what the issue is here - the issue is unbalanced taxation. Personally, I love the Nanny State - the alternatives are hideous. The general public as a whole can seriously not be left to run their own shit ... over 50% of the general public are down-right idiots that really should not be issued a licence to breed.

I've lived in countries where it's a free-for-all and they are awful places with massive income disparity, people on the streets, and in some cases borderline martial law.

Gimme the Nanny any day. Leftwing? Me? Hell yes.

All alcoholic drinks should be taxed on their alcohol content and nothing else.
 

drsmurto

Well-Known Member
Joined
5/12/06
Messages
5,071
Reaction score
528
Location
Northern Adelaide Hills
Nick JD said:
This is never a question a country with universal health care should ask itself. Even America is finally seeing the foolishness of it's ways.

But that's not what the issue is here - the issue is unbalanced taxation. Personally, I love the Nanny State - the alternatives are hideous. The general public as a whole can seriously not be left to run their own shit ... over 50% of the general public are down-right idiots that really should not be issued a licence to breed.

I've lived in countries where it's a free-for-all and they are awful places with massive income disparity, people on the streets, and in some cases borderline martial law.

Gimme the Nanny any day. Leftwing? Me? Hell yes.

All alcoholic drinks should be taxed on their alcohol content and nothing else.
A volumetric tax is what exactly?
 

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Joined
29/9/08
Messages
5,443
Reaction score
3,109
Nick JD said:
This is never a question a country with universal health care should ask itself. Even America is finally seeing the foolishness of it's ways.

But that's not what the issue is here - the issue is unbalanced taxation. Personally, I love the Nanny State - the alternatives are hideous. The general public as a whole can seriously not be left to run their own shit ... over 50% of the general public are down-right idiots that really should not be issued a licence to breed.

I've lived in countries where it's a free-for-all and they are awful places with massive income disparity, people on the streets, and in some cases borderline martial law.

Gimme the Nanny any day. Leftwing? Me? Hell yes.
I'm intrigued by your melding of eugenics and submission.
Do you have a blog I can subscribe to?
 

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Joined
4/11/08
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
453
Dave70 said:
I'm intrigued by your melding of eugenics and submission.
Do you have a blog I can subscribe to?
www.SelfishSocialistSociety.com.au :D
 

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Joined
4/11/08
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
453
DrSmurto said:
A volumetric tax is what exactly?
Oh, I'm agreeing with you Doc - just doing it in that annoying way I always do where it sounds like I'm not.
 

pommiebloke

Well-Known Member
Joined
5/3/06
Messages
291
Reaction score
82
Location
Bridgeman Downs, QLD
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."

Winston Churchill
 

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Joined
4/11/08
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
453
pommiebloke said:
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."

Winston Churchill
I'm no advocating socialism, but I do believe that a touch of socialism is essential for a smooth running capitalist economy. Otherwise you're America.
 

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Joined
9/6/08
Messages
19,838
Reaction score
4,393
Growing up in Winston's UK after the War, I didn't have to buy even a pencil to get through school, and the first time I actually paid for a medical service was to get a chest X ray to accompany my Aussie visa application when I was 27.

Back on topic, the cider (scrumpy from the hand pump) was 1s 3d when beer was 2s 6d. (one and thruppence, two and sixpence).

No contest.
 

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Joined
9/6/08
Messages
19,838
Reaction score
4,393
Hey one point that hasn't been raised, if the party kids suddenly go onto Merlot or Shiraz to pre-load on a Friday, will the Distillers Chemical Brothers then demand that wines be taxed as RTDs?
 

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Joined
19/2/09
Messages
11,585
Reaction score
909
They're proposing that everything be taxed under a blanked taxation scheme.
 

Latest posts

Top