Propogate Or Safale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
I bought a TCB wet pack - American Pale Ale kit today which I plan to use in a few days. I comes with Safale. As an experiment I am also trying to propogate the yeast from a Coopers Pale Ale bottle.

Now if the propogated yeast takes off should I use that, or stick with the Safale?

FWIW I just made a basic pale ale fermented with yeast recultured from a Coopers Sparkling ale. The yeast culture stepped up nicely to about a litre and smelled good. Afer the primary the overwhelming aroma was - bananas. After secondary it had reduced a lot but was still there and you can certainly taste it in the bottled product (at 1 week). It's not unpleasant, just a bit of a surprise. I can only imagine it must have come from the yeast. Time will tell if it mellows out I guess.

It will mellow out. Just needs a couple of weeks. Always find that recultured Coopers SA yeast also takes a bit longer to clear as well. You may find that the banana ester could be the result of a higher than normal fermentation temp. I usually try and keep it at about 16-18c.

I think it has a more interesting flavour/aroma than Safale.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
It will mellow out. Just needs a couple of weeks. Always find that recultured Coopers SA yeast also takes a bit longer to clear as well. You may find that the banana ester could be the result of a higher than normal fermentation temp. I usually try and keep it at about 16-18c.

I think it has a more interesting flavour/aroma than Safale.

Warren -
It fermented at 20-22 so that could be why. It's pouring pretty clear already but it had a week and a half in cc.

I'm a big fan of reculturing Coopers yeast. In my opinion it is superior to Safale S-33.
Agree with the temperature advice. I keep mine at 18C. At warmer temps there is a strong banana ester coming from the brew which is not as pronounced after bottling. Just to see what happens, I've even used second and third generations of the recultured Coopers yeast. The banana is more pronounced and even evident in the brew but fades very quickly and is gone before a month in the bottle.
The Coopers yeast has interesting fruitiness when young which dries out nicely with short bottle conditioning.
Reculturing Coopers yeast - any yeast for that matter - is a great cheap way to begin using starters so you'll feel very confident by the time you want to step up to liquid yeasts.
I have made some stunning Coopers brews with the recultured yeast. Very few could pick my HB Coopers Pale Ale from the genuine article, and most actually preferred mine! My Coopers Dark Ale is also damn close to the original.
By the way, the Sparkling, Pale and Dark yeasts are all the same. I now use the Dark Ale yeast in all recultured brews.
Enjoy.

ColdBeerLuke said:
-By the way, the Sparkling, Pale and Dark yeasts are all the same.

-I now use the Dark Ale yeast in all recultured brews.
If the first is true.........

Why state the second???(reason, please explain???) :) :blink:

I used the Coopers Pale Ale yeast in a clone recipe recently. It actually turned out to be one of the cleanest yeasts i have ever used - it produced a perfectly clear beer, and stripped all the flavour out. I was very dissapointed with it.

Back