Propagating Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick

Reaction score
Iam interested in propagating yeast from a coopers sparkling or pale ale. has any one done this and how did they do it ?

Mick,
I do this often , love the fruity taste of Coopers Sparkling yeast , easy azz too , just make sure everything in sterile , in a 2Lt coke bottle add a couple of tablespoons of dried malt or dextrose about 600ml water and the sedement from 3-4 Coopers stubbies , shake it up really well to airate it and cap.
Pressure will build up in a couple of days and must be released , ready to pitch when it's working.
I always have a smell first , if it's good it will smell wonderful , if it's not you'lll know Phew !
Takes longer to fermement out and is not as active as dried yeast , but adds a nice touch to brews.
Good Luck

check out the grumpy site (www.grumpys.com.au) they explain it step by step. The same as batz, said but prettier when printed out :eek: ;)

Batz have you tried using OzTops to release the pressure?

Wedge

thanks guys,

sounds easy, if like you said the yeast isn't as fast, could you use the kit yeast as well as this one ?

when you guys use this method is it on kits ??

cheers

Can't see a need for them , I do have a couple of coke tops fitted with airlocks I use sometimes , if wyeast is not using them up
By the smacked a london yesterday........waiting........... :blink: :blink:

I usually squeeze the coke bottle tight before I put the cap on. After a couple of days, the bottle expands out again.

Mike, I think using the dried yeast as well would defeat the purpose. If it's the more active, it's numbers will probably be much larger sooner, and hence dominate, so the dried yeast is what would affect the flavour profile. Although, having never tried two yeasts, I'm talking out of my arse a bit.

Using it on kits will be fine. The yeasties just want stuff to eat.

Wreck.

Does anyone have a temperature range for propagated Cooper's yeast? Is it the usual 18-22C, or will it handle higher temperatures?

That's what mine brew at even up too 25c , never had a problem with the Coopers cultured

Pretty much do as the other guys. Did a Coopers starter a few weeks back - went into an amber ale type beer. Racked to CC last night and it tasted pretty good...

I use a 1.5L Grolsch for my starters. 100g DME to 1 litre of water and boil/simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool, mix the Coopers dregs, give it a good shake and you're off and running. After 2 or 3 days I top up with some more DME and that gives a fair amount of yeast in the bottom after 4 or 5 days. Temperature must have been around 20C.

Re the dried yeast that comes with the kit - I see a lot of guys recommending that you throw it in with the boil. Excellent nutrient for your live starter.

you can throw it in but i think their is a catch. I think it has to be boiled at a certain temp for a while,. The
Jovial Monks know all about it.

Can You clarify

Wedge

As Wazza said throw it in the boil , last 5-10 min
I am yet to be convinced that this is of any help , skeptic ******* like I am , did do it today tough :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Malt has all the nutrients that yeast need. Boiling yeast cells to break them down and provide their nutrients and fats to the live yeast will help if you have lots of non-malt adjuncts in your brew, if the brew is very high gravity, or if you want to repitch the slurry. The best option then is White Labs yeast nutrient, anyway. But boiling your kit yeast will not hurt the brew in any way. It can only help the good yeast you pitch.

Latest posts

Back