Prolonged Airlock Activity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
My Belgian dark strong ale has been in the fermenter for three and a half weeks now and has finished fermenting. I plan to transfer it to a keg for conditioning in the next few days. However, there is still airlock activity, about once per minute. I'm curious where this comes from, and whether there will be any issues transferring out of the fermenter at this stage while the airlock is still running?

It’s in a temperature controlled conical fermenter, so the beer is not changing more than a fraction of one degree. Plus the airlock is always running out. If it was varying in temp the airlock would run both ways. I only presume it’s finished because the SG hasn’t changed in days. I’m not too fussed, just curious really.

The beer was a supersaturated CO2 solution, its just venting off and will do so for days even weeks.
Just like a glass of beer, you pour it, it wont go flat instantly, hours later the odd bubble is still rising.
Mark

Back