Problems with German Lager Yeast (WLP830)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Let's Brew Beer

Let's Brew Beer!
Reaction score
Hey Gang, long time no post. Did an all grain DoppleBock about 7 weeks ago and put it into a 20L cube, as we were going away and didn't have the time to ferment it. Thought i'd do things right and go get a proper yeast seeings as the all grain took me 6 hours LOL. Anyways, the instructions on the vial say to do a 2L starter if the OG is 1.065 or higher (mine settled at 1.066) so syphoned 2L of wort into a demi-john and pitched yeast, 24 hours later and no activity, the instructions claim that activity should be present around 5-15 hours. Anyone out there tried this yeast?
tried leaving it outside initially and it was at a constant 20C so tossed it in the fridge @ 10C and still nothing, somewhat perplexed. cheers.

It can take 24-48 to show something.It is a bottom fermenting yeast, so It may not display as much “activity” Compared to ale yeasts.
Did you take a hydrometer reading ?
I’ve used this yeast before @10C but pitched at 16C dropped it overnight and it has taken a couple of days to drop a few points from the OG using a tilt hydrometer.

Used it a number of times, pitching around 8-10 deg C, never an issue. Takes a couple of days to show signs from above but that doesn’t mean it is not fermenting. Do yourself a favour and double your starter volume - more yeast the better.

Yeast seems to have taken hold now, some 48 hrs after making starter. somewhat sluggish but perhaps thats the characteristic it has.

Consider stepping up your starter again if you want to be safe. Unlikely you'll be any where close to over pitching if you did.

Run your starters closer to 30C just make sure you gradually chill the starter to the same temperature of your wort prior to pitching

I've actually got a batch of this yeast in the fermenter at the moment, and also spun up another lot this week for a mate.

I felt that it didn't produce as much yeast as I expected on the stir plate.

As far the actual fermentation, it was a lot slower to start than others I've used too. Refer to attached screenshot. After a couple of days, I upped the temp to 13 C to try and kick things along, which seemed to do the trick. I then came down to 11 C, then 10 C. Krausen seemed slower than normal too. But, it's working fine now.

A point of note - The yeast itself in the starter smelt amazing. I did this 850 German Lager at the same time as a WLP940 Mexican Lager, and the German smelt awesome.
Screenshot_20190706-104702.jpg

Latest posts

Back