Problem With Saflager W34/70 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goo

Reaction score
Hi

I've made a few ESB Australian Draught kits up recently with great results using Safale SA-04 yeast - never had any problems. Someone suggested trying a lager yeast with that kit. Seems with the cooler weather coming then it might be time to experiment with some lagers anyway so I decided to give it a whirl

I tried one kit with the Saflager 023 yeast - it worked fine, fermenting out properly at about 12 degrees, however the second kit (I said I was experimenting!! plus I'm short on brew lol) I used the W34/70 yeast and it's barely fired at all. I gave it a stir.. nothing.. checked hydrometer.. no movement.. waited a week.. got frustrated.. threw in a second bag of yeast (rehydrated)... 4 days later.. nothing

Am I missing something here or doing something wrong with this yeast? Any suggestions?

G'day Goo

What temperature did you have it at?

Cheers

Hiya Beerpig

Running the temp controller at 12. I dont immerse my probe though, its stuck on the fermenter side under a big block of foam so it might be a degree or 2 warmer in the beer

Dropped it to 10 yesterday to see if maybe I was running too hot but that hasnt helped either.

Goo
Did you take a hydrometer reading when you first put the brew down? Taking those is the safest bet to see if its brewing. Hope you arent looking for signs just by the airlock? Does it smell suphury (rotten eggs)? If so its working.
Cheers
Steve

Goo
Did you take a hydrometer reading when you first put the brew down? Taking those is the safest bet to see if its brewing. Hope you arent looking for signs just by the airlock? Does it smell suphury (rotten eggs)? If so its working.
Cheers
Steve

yup - 1044 at pitching on 21/2/07
1034 now 2/3/07

So somethings happened but it's hella slow!

Beerpig thanks for the link

Next time pitch 2 packets or pitch 1 packet at room temperature then drop the temp once fermentation begins, or make a starter of about 1.5 to 3L with a portion of the yeast packet (1/4 of it should be enough, making 4 brews with a bit of work). Yeast are very slow to reproduce at low temperatures and the amount of yeast in 1 packet is insufficient.

I pitch 1 pack (11.5g) of 34/70 @ 20-23 then straight in the fridge.

Its very slow, and only seems to take off about a week + after the pitching. U can hear the fermenter fizzing within 20 mins though and all through until finally u see some krausen activity..

Is the fermenter fizzing at all? (Listen hard to hear) If it is dont worry, because @ 12 its very slow fermenting...RDWHAHB

Yep, dry lager yeast is super slow to take off if your using 1 packet, I try to use liquids as I cannot see the point in spending $8 for 1 batch of beer on dried yeast.

Once your ready for the challenge, try some liquid yeasts and make a big starter (3litres +) for a lager that is, smaller for ales but I use dry for ales as it's easy going.

Yep, dry lager yeast is super slow to take off if your using 1 packet, I try to use liquids as I cannot see the point in spending $8 for 1 batch of beer on dried yeast.

Once your ready for the challenge, try some liquid yeasts and make a big starter (3litres +) for a lager that is, smaller for ales but I use dry for ales as it's easy going.

Alrighty I'll sit it out a few more days then take another hydrometer reading. I'll look into a better starter next time I wander into lagerland!

Thanks guys

I only ever pitch one 12gm sachet of dry lager yeast, whether it be 34/70 or S189 at room temp without re-hydrating, then drop the temp. Never had a slow brew?
S

Then use 1 packet & make up a starter ;) - or/& reuse the trub :)

Cheers Ross

Then use 1 packet & make up a starter ;) - or/& reuse the trub :)

Cheers Ross

Why not use two packs and do away with the starter?

Make a starter with dry yeast and you will probably end up with a less healthy population than in the dry pack.

If you are going to make a starter, then go the liquid yeasts.

cheers

Darren

Why not use two packs and do away with the starter?

Make a starter with dry yeast and you will probably end up with a less healthy population than in the dry pack.

If you are going to make a starter, then go the liquid yeasts.

cheers

Darren

Don't you read the posts ;) - he said he didn't want to spend the money on 2 packs & hence the reply...

Building up a starter with dried yeast is fine, if you don't want to pitch the required volume dry...

cheers Ross

Seems to have started to take off a bit today.

Fingers crossed but its got a pretty steady bubbling happening at last. I'll let it chug away for a week then take a reading and see if we've made some progress!

:super:

Seems to have started to take off a bit today.

Fingers crossed but its got a pretty steady bubbling happening at last. I'll let it chug away for a week then take a reading and see if we've made some progress!

:super:

Hi Goo

I brewed a larger on the weekend and used this yeast as well with the same results, no action.
I rang the HBS and he advised to just leave it at room temp until it starts to bubble, this took all up about 24 hours, I then reduced it to 14 deg and it seems to be working away ok.

Cheers Harley

Hi Goo

I brewed a larger on the weekend and used this yeast as well with the same results, no action.
I rang the HBS and he advised to just leave it at room temp until it starts to bubble, this took all up about 24 hours, I then reduced it to 14 deg and it seems to be working away ok.

Cheers Harley

OK I'll give thast a shot next time, thanks :D

Just took a hydrometer, down to 1020 now so it's well on it's way :groovy:

Don't you read the posts ;) - he said he didn't want to spend the money on 2 packs & hence the reply...

Building up a starter with dried yeast is fine, if you don't want to pitch the required volume dry...
cheers Ross

Ross,

Not carefully no :)

I still maintain one dry pack is healthier than a dry pack rehydrated and starter made :p

cheers

Darren

Hey Goo.
if you ever read this post....
How's your brew?

I had two sachets in the freezer but one was about to pop.
So I made a small starter with the one sachet and pitched it at 18 degrees yesterday.
Unfortunately i didn't manage to get the cell count up and found today the ferment had dropped to 10 degrees.
Thats 8 degrees in 36 hours.
Not much action. Fortunately the next few days will have temps around 10-15 degrees so I am going to leave out with a wholly jumper and hope fully it'll start up going allright next couple of days.
Then i'll pop it back in brew fridge at 9 degrees.

I am really sour with meself for not building up larger starter an allowing the temp to drop so quick.

I am sure that if I am patient, I still will get a reasonable Pilsner.
Knowing this yeast is pretty slow in reproducing.
Has any one found that this may have caused any detrimental effect to the final product?
I am pretty confident that it is fully sanitary just wonder what this type of yeast is able to do or not do.

The temp drop 8 in 36 H
Cell count down
Any way gonna stop rambling now.
Cherio

I had two sachets in the freezer but one was about to pop.

Has any one found that this may have caused any detrimental effect to the final product?
The freezer aint a good place for yeast that you're buying from a home brew store. Water, ice, bad karma.

Cell count down
Are you really performing cell counts?

I've thought about buying a cytometer, but it's always been a toy, oops did I say toy? I'm sure I meant tool, that I couldn't justify buying.

Are they easy to use?

Convenient and fast?

(Sorry to side track the thread.)

Thanks,

Keith

Back