Problem With Keg Lids

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just encountered a problem with a couple of keg lids and I thought this would be the place to ask the question.

I was just given 2 kegs by a mate that is no longer using them. Looks like they haven't been used for a long time. I had to get some seal kits and give them a good clean out which i've been working on today.

When I removed the lid seal to replace it they have been sitting for so long the plastic seal has glued itself to the lid (probably due to the heat in our area). As a result I have plastic around the top edge of the lid that I need to remove. I was thinking of boiling the lid to soften the plastic but theres the plastic seals on the legs to think about. I could use a screwdriver but It'll probably scratch the crap out of it.

Does anyone have any advice on this one?

Cheers,

Newts

We use brake cleaner at work. Gets rid of all that sort of crap.

Some house hold type stuff to try if you dare would be WD40 or Rid/Aerogard.

the green scourers, this is what they use on artillery parts to clean carbon off them. wont scratch the surface

barls said:
the green scourers, this is what they use on artillery parts to clean carbon off them. wont scratch the surface
BULLDUST, try rubbing a green scourer over the outside of a keg and see what happens.
Mate, if you can get most of it of with a plastic knife, (picnic set type thing) and then use a soft cloth, with WD40 as Potof4x suggests. this should do the job wthout any scratching.
The seals are usually rubber based, and WD40 or even degreaser should help disove the old rubber, This method works on the chrome exhaust pipes without scratching them on my 'cycle when I accidently rest my boot on them whilst riding.

Ivan Other One said:
This method works on the chrome exhaust pipes without scratching them on my 'cycle when I accidently rest my boot on them whilst riding.
Thanks for this tip... must remember it now :super:

Ivan Other One said:
BULLDUST, try rubbing a green scourer over the outside of a keg and see what happens.
and how many cannons have you clean over the years. i spent 11 years doing this. if your using the right one it wont scratch.
i even used them on the chrome letters for the name boards on the navy ships to remove the corrosion on them,
so pull your head in.

barls said:
and how many cannons have you clean over the years. i spent 11 years doing this. if your using the right one it wont scratch.
i even used them on the chrome letters for the name boards on the navy ships to remove the corrosion on them,
so pull your head in.
+1 on the green "non scratch" scourers not scratching and doing a good job cleaning.

I use them to wash down any stainless I hit with a grinder.

Im sure the lids are stainless and you scratch them, get some oxalic acid from bunnings (diggers brand rust cleaner) and wash it off mixed in a small paste. Works a treat to repassivate the stainless. I've started polishing up my keggles with a grinder, and I wash it down with this acid solution each time :)

I would try a non scratch scourer. If your an "Aldi brewer" the Aldi non-scratch ones are actually white. I use them on all parts of my brewery, even the plastic fermenters. Just don't push really hard and all is good.

QldKev

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'll give it a go with a plastic tool first and see how I go - then I'll use a combo of the above and see if I can get the rest.

As for buying new lids mikec I've spent a fair bit of money on my homebrew setup in the last 3 months and the missus is starting to think I should just buy beer. :unsure: Plus if I can save 40 bucks by using a little elbow grease I'll do it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Newts

Gee, you blokes could be on to something here, 'till now I thought that all scourers would be abrasive, thus scratch whatever they came in contact with but it seems that there is a "Non scratch type"
Sure cant argue with a bloke that has 11 years experience at polishing his cannon.

Latest posts

Back