Problem with Auber SYL-2352 PID controller.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCarbinator

Reaction score
So I bought the following items a couple of weeks ago to make up my HERMS temp controller.

Auber PID Model: SYL-2352P
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

Temp probe (PT 100)
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=261

Also bought the appropriate SSR and heatsink to suit.

I had them hooked up by an electrician while carefully reading the instructions.

Then when I turn it on, the temperature is showing (as far as I can work out) minus two hundred and something degrees.

That was after I changed the settings to celcius.

Then I swapped the two red wires on terminals 3 and four.

Now it is showing 636 degrees celcius (as in photo)

2013-05-11 12.34.08.jpg.

Has anyone come across this?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

White goes to 5, reds to 4 and 3.

Cheers
Dan

dmac said:
Hi Andrew,

White goes to 5, reds to 4 and 3.

Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan

Yeah that is how it is hooked up.

I'm starting to think that the "636" is not an actual temperature cos it has not changed.

reading through the manual it has an initial setting for a K type thermocouple, have you changed this to a PT100 rtd?

cheers
John

goodbrew said:
reading through the manual it has an initial setting for a K type thermocouple, have you changed this to a PT100 rtd?

cheers
John

Yeah I have set the sn setting to 21

I would guess that the settings are wrong or you are looking at a non-temperature screen.

Offsets like that are really significant and aren't usually from connection problems, however do you have some sort of connector between the controller and the sensor or is the sensor screwed directly onto the controller?

Then make sure your connections are nice and tight, PT100's can be prone to playing up due to bad connections.

Have you set it up for PT100? Setting Sn should be 21. Yes (edit. Too slow)

Cheers

Also, if you have a multimeter, can you measure across one of the red wires and the white one (whilst disconnected from the controller). It should read about 100-110 ohms (0 degrees-23 degrees)

Edak said:
you are looking at a non-temperature screen.

Yeah I am thinking the same thing.
I am hoping that it is something simple.

The probe is connected straight to the controller as it is designed to do.

Edak said:
Also, if you have a multimeter, can you measure across one of the red wires and the white one (whilst disconnected from the controller). It should read about 100-110 ohms (0 degrees-23 degrees)

Ok yeah my electrician mate has one.

Maybe the probe could be faulty

I bought the same probe and had to re-solder one of the wires. I recall the error was something similar to what you are describing, memory
is a bit fuzzy.

I spin out when I hear that people don't have a multimeter because this day in age almost everything is electronic. It's a tool that you can get for under 5 dollars delivered from China, takes 5 minutes to learn how to use it can save a lot of hassle when you have problems with any electronic device.

This is not a dig, rather an observation. The problem is definitely your sensor connection as identified on the USA forum where you posted the same question. The user manual states it on the last page. Measure your RTD to see whether it is faulty and you will have your answer.

Edak said:
I spin out when I hear that people don't have a multimeter because this day in age almost everything is electronic.
Yeah you are dead right!
I guess what makes it worse for me is that my dad is an electrician, he wanted to train me as a sparkie and all I wanted to be was a chippie because it interested me more.

I might pull the probe apart and have a look for any loose connections, hopefully that will be my problem.
Other than that, I will have to learn how to use a bloody multimeter!

I'm a bit later now since you found it, but my Auber probe had that same issue.

QldKev said:
I'm a bit later now since you found it, but my Auber probe had that same issue.
Got it working, now just need to work out how to program the bloody thing!

Was it just one red wire that was loose? It is imperative that both red wires are used (and not connected to reach other at the controller end) because otherwise your readings will be wrong.

I would send the pic back to Auber, not to be offensive to them but as a FYI thing as im sure they wouldnt want anyone else to have the same problem.

Back