Probe Thermometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneergangsta

Reaction score
So close to finishing my AG setup...

As for thermometers, i had a brief look around and ended up getting a digital probe thermometer from dick smiths $25 (y5031)
http://dseau.resultspage.com/search.php?se...=&w=thermometer
I figure this would be a good one considering my 3 tier setup, and the ability to adjust the angle of the screen for the HLT above my head.

So whats my problem?
Well...i want to install it into the side of my 50L Steel keg (HLT), i dont have access to a welder! bugger! Any other ideas?

*also thermometer with probes on the end of wires?
*and some sort of temp control to rig up? (HLT is electric)

Cheers

The only way I can think of is to use 2 compression fittings (to seal around the probe) + washers & orings to seal between the keg & compression fittings, but if the probe isn't a standard size (or close) it may not work properly.
(The system I'm thinking of here is the way the CPBF seals on the 1/4" beer tube)

Hoops

Thinking of getting one of these sometime soon I hope. The probe and wire should make life easy.

What about something like this from brew tree:

http://www.brewtree.com/catalog/item/270236/127312.htm

Dsc06423.jpg

Pioneergangsta, I suggest you just drill the right sized hole and then silicone that baby up to seal it. I did this with my sight gauge and haven't had any problems with it, works great.

Also, perhaps you could consider the brewtree ones above. I think they are 29.95US each which is pretty good value (the equivalent ones here, without the no weld fitting will cost about $90Aus.

JD

Hobbit,

That is like what I have for my tap in one of my boilers.
However I bought the bits in the US.

Does anyone know where to get those red round compression washers in Sydney ?
I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Beers,
Doc

JasonY said:
Thinking of getting one of these sometime soon I hope. The probe and wire should make life easy.
The probe that I got from Jaycar has passed away today :( Cost $40 and I got about 10 brews from it ... it was great until it died on me so I shall seek an alternat and more durable digital temp gauge.

Perhaps now is the time to consider that PLC :)

Latest posts

Back