Priming with honey

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyboybrybry

Reaction score
Okay now I know this has been kind of covered in a few other threads I did a search and looked through.

What I didn't discover was the answer to the question "how much?"

I saw some lively convos and directions to links for calculators for working out bulk priming with dex or sugar etc but nothing for honey.
Many discussions on what honey is and what headaches are and why you should or shouldn't heat treat.

But no answer to the question "how much?"

So from what I have read I am theorising that I would use a calc to work out a bulk priming amount with sugar and then work out how much sugar is in the honey I am using and then add the amount of honey to provide the amount of sugar required according to the calc.
Does that sound right to anybody? Am I over thinking it thinking there should be more to it?

Open to suggestions.

my brewing software has it in the carbonation calcs.
for example a beer with 2.5 vols of carbonation at 20 degrees of fermentation needs 9.2 g/l of honey but only 7.6 g/l of dex or 6.6 of sugar

For priming you are probably overthinking it and a waste of time. The amount of honey that small for priming will not impart any flavour to the beer. Easier to stick with plain old sugar or dextrose.

There is honey in the beers I am priming as well. Trying to stick to a theme and use up the honey that I had left over!

Back