Priming With Dextrose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEERBOY

Reaction score
I am into my first brew now, and its not bas, even though i bottled a bit early and had to recap after a week. But one thing i have noticed is the bottles i primed with Dextrose seem to have a smaller/tighter fizz as compared to the carbonation drop bottles. Is this a common thing?
And as they are all way fizzy i cant really tell but should i use a bit more dextrose when priming, as it is 100% fermentable?
Would normal sugar give a similar result to Dextrose? as i fed my carbonation drops to the dog.

Never tried those drops myself, but all reports that i have read on these forums have indicated that they arent much good.
Dextrose or sugar and bulk prime seem to be the go although some have said to use DME I have never tried it so I wont comment.
B B B.

I used those drops when I made my first brew. got a Coopers kit to start with and they were in there.
I didnt know any better being my first brew but I do remember the beer being overly fizzy and having big bubbles and generally being ok but not great.
I just used sugar and caster sugar after that and they were all much better.
I'm going to use dextrose to prime with for the first time as soon as i bottle my next brew

cheers

Sucrose 8g/litre.
Dextrose 9g/litre.
DME 11g/litre.

All will give you enough carbonation for a "standard" brew.

I've tried them all and still use all of them depending on what I want the beer to be like. As said above, Sucrose generally gives bigger, harsher bubbles. Dextrose gives small bubbles and DME gives a nice fine carbonation that really makes the beers smooth. I use cane sugar (about 9.5g/litre) in things like Weizen that need a high fizz, dextrose in basic ales and DME in just about everything else... in fact I use DME more than anything and love it.

Carbonation drops = sucrose + some kind of bonding agent (??), 1 or 2 drops per bottle, depending on bottle size. Which is all good and well if your bottles are in one of two sizes... how many in a 640ml bottle as opposed to a 750ml bottle???

Take control of carbonation. Use bulk priming and prime to the exact level you want and get consistent carbonation regardless of bottle size and without the hassle of putting sugar into thin bottle necks, etc etc etc. It takes a lot less time and effort to bulk prime. I can't believe anyone still primes any other way.

I agree, Dextrose produces a smooth aftertaste.

one that did take a lot of getting use to at first after years of white sugar. I do not bottle anymore but if i did i would say the white sugar..if you are after a little bite mouthfeel.

your choice...i say try them all

Latest posts

Back