Priming with brown sugar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruddager

Reaction score
I accidentally left an ingredient (brown sugar) out of the last recipe I brewed and didn't remember for quite some time so I didn't try adding it later for fear of introducing an infection. Yesterday, however, I realised that all might not be lost - I could potentially prime using the brown sugar at bottling time! I usually use dextrose and spoon it in to each bottle using one of those little two-sided measuring things.

So, priming bottles with brown sugar instead of dex because I forgot to put it in earlier, good or bad idea?

Brown sugar should be fine, if you mean moist brown sugar it could be a bugger to wrestle into the bottles, I'd suggest doing a bulk prime by dissolving it in hot water and making a syrup, then injecting that into the empty bottles using a syringe (forty cents from the chemist). Might need to get your calculator out and hunt up a priming calculator on the web. I don't bulk prime so unsure how much brown you'd need.

I used Dark/Brown sugar (the one that bribie is talking about) with a stout and yeah bulk priming is the way to go! It's a bit messy to work with.

I used about 95g for a 22L batch and it carbed up no problem at all, took a little while but worked fine

I don't have another vessel to bulk prime into unfortunately. Syringe into the bottles might work ... I'll investigate that.

So am I going to get the caramel flavour (that's what it gives, right?) by using it at this stage, or is it perhaps not worth the bother?

If you're trying to effect a change in flavor, the paltry amount of priming sugar required to gas up a bottle will make sweet (get it..sweet??) FA difference to the finished beer.

Is that what you're trying to do here? Cos that's how I'm reading it.

Pretty much. I wasn't going to put much in to begin with anyway, so at 8g/L I guess it'll effectively only be a 184g addition to a 23L batch at the beginning.

Latest posts

Back