Quantcast

Priming with brown sugar?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Ruddager

Reaction score
I accidentally left an ingredient (brown sugar) out of the last recipe I brewed and didn't remember for quite some time so I didn't try adding it later for fear of introducing an infection. Yesterday, however, I realised that all might not be lost - I could potentially prime using the brown sugar at bottling time! I usually use dextrose and spoon it in to each bottle using one of those little two-sided measuring things.

So, priming bottles with brown sugar instead of dex because I forgot to put it in earlier, good or bad idea?

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Brown sugar should be fine, if you mean moist brown sugar it could be a bugger to wrestle into the bottles, I'd suggest doing a bulk prime by dissolving it in hot water and making a syrup, then injecting that into the empty bottles using a syringe (forty cents from the chemist). Might need to get your calculator out and hunt up a priming calculator on the web. I don't bulk prime so unsure how much brown you'd need.

tricache

Brewer/Gamer/Nerd
Reaction score
I used Dark/Brown sugar (the one that bribie is talking about) with a stout and yeah bulk priming is the way to go! It's a bit messy to work with.

I used about 95g for a 22L batch and it carbed up no problem at all, took a little while but worked fine

Ruddager

Reaction score
I don't have another vessel to bulk prime into unfortunately. Syringe into the bottles might work ... I'll investigate that.

So am I going to get the caramel flavour (that's what it gives, right?) by using it at this stage, or is it perhaps not worth the bother?

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
If you're trying to effect a change in flavor, the paltry amount of priming sugar required to gas up a bottle will make sweet (get it..sweet??) FA difference to the finished beer.

Is that what you're trying to do here? Cos that's how I'm reading it.

Ruddager

Reaction score
Pretty much. I wasn't going to put much in to begin with anyway, so at 8g/L I guess it'll effectively only be a 184g addition to a 23L batch at the beginning.

Latest posts