Priming With Black Treacle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Just to confirm (and I know how much you all love answering simple questions), I have here a tin of Lyle's Black Treacle. On the back label, it tells me that it contains 65g sugar/100g.

So, if I wanted to carb to 2.0 atmospheres, and my calculator says I need 100g of dex to do so, I'd need to use 135g of treacle?

Is it so simple, or is there something else I'm missing?

Cheers,

FB

Yes you are missing something Sugar and dextrose dont have the same fermentability.
There is a water molecule attached to the glucose (Dex) and it counts as part of the weight, but doesnt ferment.
You need about 1.2 times as much Dex as Sugar to get the same amount of fizz.
If we are talking a full sized batch (22.5L) 100g of Dex is going to be on the very low fizz side unless that 100g was just a for instance.
The way you have expressed the amount of carbonation is interesting, people mostly talk in Volumes of CO2 if they are American/Americophile, the rest of the world now talks in g/L of CO2, if you have been looking at carbonation tables the Atmospheres at a given temperature will give a known amount of dissolved CO2.
Braukaiser has some very good well laid out information on all things carbonation, worth a read.
MHB

Sorry in the for instance
100g Dex (100/1.2)> 83g Sugar > (83/65*100) = 128g of 65% syrup
and how did you get 135g any how, 100/65*100 = 153.8g
M

Thanks MHB. I knew it couldn't be that simple (and I transposed the 3 and 5. Damn fat fingers.)!

the 100g was only for illustrative purposes, but it's only a 15 litre batch anyway.

Brewmate calculates for that amount of beer to get to 2.0, I'll need 68g of sugar (incedently, I've been assuming that this means dex for my other brews, might explain why I'm having trouble with the head on my Maris Otter brews), so this means I'll need (83/65)*100=127g of Treacle? I guess the question now is will I be able to taste that amount in 15 litres of porter?

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back