Priming Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Duke

Reaction score
A fellow brewer swears by priming his bottles with dextrose. He claims that it makes smaller bubbles. I reckon he's dreamin'.
I once did a brew, half bottled with household sugar - half dextrose. For reasons unknown to me, I rated the household sugar brews slightly better in terms of flavour.
Does anyone have any scientific explanations?

I've used dextrose for the last 12 months and I have been very happy with it.
Before that I tried Carbonation drops(once only) white sugar(most times) brown and raw sugar.
I cant say I could taste any of these in the brew as the amount used was minimal.

cheers

The Duke said:
A fellow brewer swears by priming his bottles with dextrose. He claims that it makes smaller bubbles. I reckon he's dreamin'.
I once did a brew, half bottled with household sugar - half dextrose. For reasons unknown to me, I rated the household sugar brews slightly better in terms of flavour.
Does anyone have any scientific explanations?
Did you successfully replicate your experiment and do blind tastings?

I've never really noticed any difference between sucrose and dextrose for priming. I use dextrose myself just because I like to think it's cleaner.

When I prime, which is rarely, I use wheat malt extract to help with head rentention and give a soft creamy carbonation.

The flavor of a 7g addition to a bottle is not detectable

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back