Priming by Shot pourer - carb drop alternative

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine don't go into Vic comps but the 5 I put into the act's took 3 silver 109, 117 & 107.5. The others were 88.5 & 85. No mention of infection.

Yes wild yeast can live in beer but the chances of transition into finished beer while packaging is very low. If it wasn't whole home brew industry would have died in the 70's when people figured out that their beers were always going to taste off from infection.

Exhibit A - 5 of my beers have done between very well and reasonably well in an amateur homebrewing comp.

Exhibit B- finished beer is hostile to spoilage microorganisms.

Sorry mate - glad you've done well and yes you can be 'too careful' or just say fuckit and have a crack. I have done, do and will again do both (and have had great beer, award winning beer, average beer and infected beer) but it is, as LC intimated, incorrect to suggest that beer will not host organisms that make it taste like arse. It is hostile to pathogens that affect humans but that is different to being hostile to acetobacter, lactobaccillus, bretannomyces, pediococcus, etc.

Homebrewing industry in the 70s is not evidence of anything to the contrary.

I've done this before, using a syringe to measure out the required dosage for each bottle. How successful it is, well, not great results so far... Last batch got a bit of some bug in it, over carbed and tasting like crap... Got another batch sitting there ageing now, was entered into Vicbrew and feedback was it was undercarbed (or not carbed at all), so maybe wrong ratios, maybe not enough time, maybe too cold, may too high ABV and the little fellas can't do their magic anymore.

Bottle conditioning is an art, I'm not a great artist.

If the amount of sugar solution you inject/dose contains the "correct" amount of sugar it is all the same, I mean the right amount of white sugar, dextrose, honey, LME... will all give the desired amount of fizz.
It isn't an art, its pure brewing maths, do the numbers right, don't infect it in the process and you will get exactly the results you expect.
Mark

Back