Priming beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac

Reaction score
Hi all, new member but old hand. Recently I tried mango beer in Broome and was quite taken by it. I already have the recipe for it,but it calls for the mango extract to be added after fermentation. Would this suffice as the priming sugar if bottle immediately. . . jonmac

I wouldn't use it for priming unless you're very sure of the sugar conten, or else you risk bottle-bombs or flat beer

I understand the exploding bottles if the priming sugar is too high. However, the recipe calls for the addition of the nectar after fermentation has ceased. Would it be more prudent to add the nectar at secondary fermentation and then bulk prime? . . . jonmac

I would never prime with something abstract like mango or mango syrup, it could either be flat or explode.

If you want to add fruit you can do it as a secondary ferment (adding to primary is OK) or if you get extract / flavour, that's not fermentable and can be added right before you bottle.

jonmac said:
Would this suffice as the priming sugar if bottle immediately. . .
This is the bomb (probably explode)

Yob said:
do you keg?
This is the not bomb (won't explode)

jonmac said:
Hi all, new member but old hand. Recently I tried mango beer in Broome and was quite taken by it. I already have the recipe for it,but it calls for the mango extract to be added after fermentation. Would this suffice as the priming sugar if bottle immediately. . . jonmac
Where did you get your recipe? Just googled and found a post on the coopers forum https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/11844/. It suggests just adding all to primary.

Post #5: I was lucky enough to talk to the head brewer of Matso Brewery of Broome at a “food,wine and beer festival” in Fremantle about 12 months ago and a fellow home brewer and I asked about his Mango Beer, and how we would go about brewing it at home. His reply was rather simple. He said that all he used for the mango flavor was to use the mango extract 300ml-400ml. If you couldn't get that then the diluted stuff ie: 35% mango juice add about 600ml-800ml. He also went on to say that to just use a basic pale lager/ale with only bittering hops and a 50/50 blend of LDM/DEX. Add all the ingredients together including the mango juice in your FV and ferment as normal. I have done this to what he said and I did find it a bit boring….a breakfast beer as I call it. On a second attempt I brewed with Cooper wheat beer and 750gms of LDM and US05……..much better. Couldn't be more simpler.

Latest posts

Back