priming 19l keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteglee

Reaction score
Gday guys, Im a newby, first brew down almost ready to keg the brew, wondering how much sugar to prime a 19l keg. temp is steady around 25-27 degrees. and i how long to leave before putting in fridge for tasting? some are saying 50g and some 100+g???cheers

is it possible for you to chill it down in the keg and just use the gas to carb it? if not halve what you would use for bottling (im pretty sure thats it) if you do a quick search in the google option you should find a couple of threads full of info :)
Also in future get your beers to around 18 deg for ales 10 - 12 for lagers :)

If you can gas, 300kpa for 24hrs in the fridge, put it in warm. That will leave about 100kpa in your beer. If your system is balanced pour at that, if not, adjust down to suit a good pouring pressure. Mine is about 30 - 50 kpa. If you have kegs, you shouldn't need to carb with sugar, use CO2 instead. :super:

I used to prime at 65-70 grm per keg. Suited me. 2 weeks, longer in winter or it will be a little sweet to the taste. Maybe priming at 27 deg is mildly acceptable but brew as above from Bruce.

thanks guys, nah got small beer fridge, one keg at a time, still got to set it up. got too prime with sugar then wait...its going to b a long wait..., so excited about the home brew thing. keep it as cool as possible looks like. just doin the soda stream gas at the moment. Bruce do you mean while fermenting, better to have brew at lower temp. cheers

I don't remember how many grams it is, but I do know that 2/3 of a cup of dextrose works a treat for me.

Give it at least a couple of weeks and then hook in.

peteglee said:
thanks guys, nah got small beer fridge, one keg at a time, still got to set it up. got too prime with sugar then wait...its going to b a long wait..., so excited about the home brew thing. keep it as cool as possible looks like. just doin the soda stream gas at the moment. Bruce do you mean while fermenting, better to have brew at lower temp. cheers
Thats what he means, 18-20 for ales and 9-13 for lagers are ideal and will make a huge difference to your final product.
Just be sure what yeast you are using most kits will come with an ale yeast even most of the lagers.
If in doubt ask here for advice, beter still buy good quality yeast for your brews from your LHBS.

70g sugar should be about right. Use a calculator then halve the result if you were to bottle it.

i dd this for the first time two weeks ago (dex in the keg) the brew was fermented at 12 degrees for two weeks then cold chilled for 2 days, transfered to keg and added 100gm dex to the keg, gassed it to 250kpa and ruined it. it tasted like lolly water and and a painfull gassy pour. i had to leave the kegs out of the fridge to get any yeast left to eat out the sugar so it wasnt so sweet, last time i add sugar as i screwed up 40lt, ill stick to the co2 only next time or add 2 tablespoons only, tried that before and worked really well

brend0n
do ether one or the other not both, hence the result you got
i prime mine with around 50-60 gm per 19L keg and then only hook up to co2 to purge the head space and make sure of the seal on the keg. my pouring pressure is 70 kpa and this is what i use for purging

brend0n said:
i dd this for the first time two weeks ago (dex in the keg) the brew was fermented at 12 degrees for two weeks then cold chilled for 2 days, transfered to keg and added 100gm dex to the keg, gassed it to 250kpa and ruined it. it tasted like lolly water and and a painfull gassy pour. i had to leave the kegs out of the fridge to get any yeast left to eat out the sugar so it wasnt so sweet, last time i add sugar as i screwed up 40lt, ill stick to the co2 only next time or add 2 tablespoons only, tried that before and worked really well
100g dex is far to much, hence over carbed. Nevertheless, when you say, "i had to leave the kegs out of the fridge to get any yeast left to eat out the sugar" it also sounds like you didn't give the yeast a chance to carbonate the keg before you placed it in the fridge in the first place. If this is so, if you prime with sugar in the keg you can't place the kegs in the fridge until it has finished carbonating of you will get that sweet hit you experienced.

Thanks guys, I went with about 70g for the first brew Brigalow lager kit, hooked up to gas and attached to my new bar and beer tap after 2.5 weeks, first pour was flat, so forced carbed overnight, now ok, beer tastes a bit green/raw? I guess (not a conissour) just like my pop used to give me, bless him. I think if the keg was left longer, carb might be better, will see with my next brew which is up too 3 weeks now, I was too excited to wait any longer cause I had the week off work. Hopefully next brew will taste better. cheers.

peteglee said:
Just tried it again, I think its a real yeasty taste
the first couple of pints will be a bit yeasty as the yeast settles to the bottom of the keg which is where the dip tube draws from.

Latest posts

Back