Primed Keg Leaking...chuck The Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Ok folks, here is the situation.

Beer primed with dextrose/glucose mix.

Liquid seeping out of the cap (screw type).

A schrader valve (car tyre valve) is also fitted and a quick press indicates there is still a fair amount of pressure inside the vessel (only decanted on Monday night)...surely by the two week mark all pressure will be lost though :(

Suggestions?
Release all pressure and fit new o-ring?
Leave it?
Pour the brew down the kitchen sink?
Will the brew be prone to infection or just be flat?

Any ideas at all would be great :huh:

If I should toss the brew I'll probably do it straight away, as I'll need to get another in there soon...but hoping for a fix...already invested too much time in this brew :blink:

PZ.

grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...

...fall over

barfridge said:
grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...grab a glass...pour...drink...

...fall over
[post="78572"][/post]​

Huh? Drink it now?

PZ.

FINGERLICKING

no do a quick change
co2 in primed bottel sit lower than air so no infection should happen
once done give a good shake and relese pressure this will purge any air out that got in .
same thig has happened to me before and the brew was ok
TANKED

TANKED -

I'm really sorry, no offence intended, but your broken English is confusing me... :(

I think you mean I should do nothing and just purge it in a week or so?

Or by "no do a quick change" do you mean I should decant to another keg/bottles?

PZ.

PZ.

I presume by your scant description you're talking about a carbonator cap on a PET bottle? Correct? Or is it a keg. Sorry it's just that your information is a little bit hard to understand. :unsure:

If it's only a couple of litres and you've got gas coming out the valve, refrigerate and drink.

Tossing it out would most definitely be putting the baby out with the bathwater.

Warren -

I have had a leaking keg before, all I did was release the pressure from it and transfer it to another keg and then purge it and give it another hit at 300kpa for a little to get the gas back then set it at serving pressure. It was fine, the keg got emptied quickly so I don't know how it would have gone over a couple of weeks.

Still, just release the gas and refit a new o-ring and purge it, should be fine.

Thanks for the replies fellas, will hit the better HBS up tomorrow...if he hasn't got any suitable o-rings in stock and I can't find any at the hardware or plumbing stores I'll just go crazy on it with teflon tape.

Warren - I do believe my post topic has the word "keg" in it ;)

PZ.

*edit* - I just realised why the before-mentioned schrader valve may have caused some confusion...I added this to the keg for pressure reading and emergency party-gassing (think of desperate pissheads holding a bike pump when the Co2 runs out :lol: )...

*double edit* - "cap (screw type)"...yes this would also add to the confusion.
After reading my original post I can now see the problem...I was trying to keep it simple to avoid confusion...I however kept it too simple :ph34r:
The reason for not using jargon terms like "bung" for the lid was that I've come across people who refer to the "plugs" (gas and beer connects) as "bungs", etc.

I'm confused :blink:
What type of keg are you using?
Why are you priming a keg with dextrose if you have access to co2?
What on earth are you referring to when you speak of a bung?
And where exactly is the leak coming from? Post us a picture if you can

vlbaby

Fingerlickin_B said:
Liquid seeping out of the cap (screw type).

[post="78563"][/post]​

Carbonator Caps have plastic screw caps.

Fingerlickin_B said:
A schrader valve (car tyre valve) is also fitted
[post="78563"][/post]​

Carbonator Caps also have tyre valves.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Warren - I do believe my post topic has the word "keg" in it ;)

[post="78599"][/post]​

Indeed it did... It was about the only non-cryptic clue you gave. :blink:

More information please? :unsure:

Warren -

The sugar-primed keg was leaking and I wanted to know if I should toss the brew or if it would survive...pretty simple really :rolleyes:

Took the advice I got and released pressure, replaced o-ring and closed the keg...fingers crossed it'll be ok :chug:

PZ.

sorry about the broken english Fingerlickin B

I meant to say it will be fine if you just rlace what you need to.regas it and then give it a purge to make sure there is no air in it .
it will survive even if you do a running repair on the valve. just make sure you have got everything ready so you dont take hours to do the repair .
I had a primed keg do the same replaced the oring ans seal and put it back together gave the keg a good shake purged it then gassed it up and left it for a few weeks it was fine .

HOPE THAT WAS A BIT MORE HELPFUL TANKED

vlbaby said:
I'm confused :blink:
What type of keg are you using?
Why are you priming a keg with dextrose if you have access to co2?
What on earth are you referring to when you speak of a bung?
And where exactly is the leak coming from? Post us a picture if you can

vlbaby
[post="78615"][/post]​

Vlbaby,
At the risk of drifting off topic for a moment, there are lots of keggers who swear by naturally carbonating their beers with priming sugars (eg dry wheat malt extract as JM mentioned on a different thread) rather than force carbonating the beer with Co2. Sure, it may mean more sediment in the bottom of the keg, but does that really matter if you naturally carbonate a Stout or Porter with extract?

Cheers,
TL

//return to topic now!// :D

Yeah TANKED, that's what I was hoping you meant...and thanks man.

Looking good now :)

PZ.

Vlbaby,
At the risk of drifting off topic for a moment, there are lots of keggers who swear by naturally carbonating their beers with priming sugars (eg dry wheat malt extract as JM mentioned on a different thread) rather than force carbonating the beer with Co2. Sure, it may mean more sediment in the bottom of the keg, but does that really matter if you naturally carbonate a Stout or Porter with extract?

Cheers,
TL

QUOTE]

TL,
no arguments there about sugar priming. the question was relevant only because it would change the way in how a leaking keg could be dealt with. If it was force carbonating, he could easily transfer the contents of his leaky keg into another and resume carbonation as normal. If it was being carbonated by sugar priming, then transfering the contents to another keg would cause a huge loss of carbonation that would cause the beer to become flat.

Further to Fingerlickins questions, if the leak was coming from the gas post of the keg, the only loss will be gas and hence carbonation. But if the leak is from the liquid post, then you're gonna lose your entire keg of beer on the floor if you dont get it out of that soon enough.
And god no, i wouldnt be throwing out that beer just because it has started to leak. Just spray some sanitiser around the leak, and get that beer into another keg as soon as you can. Or at least drink it real fast.

vlbaby.

Back