Pride of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
From here:

Australian Pride of Ringwood
Second generation from the English-Pride of Kent. Bred in Australia. The main hop variety in Australia (since the early 1960s)

Characteristics
Aroma: Quite pronounced but not unpleasant
Cone Structure: Fairly long, quite tight cone
Lupulin: Moderate to large amount, medium dark yellow

Growth & Harvest Information
Growth Habit: Good vigor, well hopped, and a nice grower-friendly hop
Maturity: Midseason - late variety
Yield: 2200 - 2800 kg./ha. or 1950 - 2500 lb./ac.
Pickability: Excellent
Drying and Baling: No problems
Storageability: 45 - 55% alpha acids remaining after six (6) months storage at 20 C
Disease Reaction: Downy mildew, powdery mildew, and aphis are absent from Australia so its susceptibility to these is immaterial.

Acid Composition
Alpha Acid: 7.0 - 10.0% w/w
Beta Acids: 4.0 - 6.0% w/w
Co-Humulone: 33 - 39% of alpha acids

Oil Composition
Total Oil: 1.0 - 2.0 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 25 - 50% of whole oil
Humulene: 3 - 8% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 5 - 10% of whole oil
Farnesene: <1% of whole oil

General Trade Perception
Predominantly a bittering hop (high alpha hop) but with interesting aromatic qualities

Other Information
At time of release in 1965, it was the highest alpha acid hop in the world; and went on to become more than 90% of the Australian crop--closely associated with such famous beers as Foster's Lager.

So, do you use POR? Why or why not? What styles does it go best in?

Discuss!

Have got a recipe made up in Beersmith that is aimed at a Tooheys clone that has this hop in it.

Planning on putting it into the fermenter sometime soon.

Tooheys/Carlton Beer

3kg LME
400g Dex
200g Carapils
40g POR flowers (10.2%)
S-189 at 12 degrees

4.83% ABV
OG:1.050 FG:1.013
IBU from 10L boil: 27
EBC: 14

It's a great hop. Although I've found there is significan't variation between crops. The PoR I have now is supurb and not at all "rustic", but nice and floraly (very high AA% too). I've got a SMASH APA fermenting at the moment and you wouldn't know it's PoR from the aroma.

Could be that because it's so extensively grown there's room for much flavour variation?

Had no time at all for this hop when I started out brewing, anything that resembled the flavours of commercial swill I couldn't get far enough away from.

As CPA and CSA was the only commercial beer I could stomach I started to try and clone them out of brewing curiosity.

My opinion of POR gradually changed and particularly when fresh I actually liked it!

The woody earthy flavours when used correctly make a great beer IMO. and I use them in early and late additions now without fear.

Having said that, I prefer Superpride over POR, but not by much. regardless I just treat them the same.

Used POR also in Aussie red ales, Amber ales Browns and the latest is an Aussie style Mild (similar to Coopers Mild) including POR flowers at flame out.

This hop gets alot of bad press, but I'm a convert. Just treat it with love and it will love you back. :beer:

Cheers,
BB

yep I use it alot. seems to be best using flowers then pellets, Done a few of the same brews but using pellets then flowers and flowers do make a difference.

I stayed away from this hop when I firsted stated brewing. I thought that I would get that mega swill flavour by using it. But...I have now discovered that this hop doesnt deserve all the bad press it gets. Used with care and considerate it can produce nice flavours. Love the flowers, just a bit more subtle.

I very nearly pulled up my POR rhizome to sell after last season as i never really thought i would use POR in a beer.

I don't brew mainstream aussie beer styles as i can't stand them, Coopers being an exception to the rule.

Had a few of Boilerboys Aussie Red ales and was super impressed. :icon_drunk:

Picked a good crop of POR flowers this year and the aroma from them was nothing like any POR i had ever smelt before. Floral but also fruity.

So i will be brewing a few all POR beers with plenty of late hopping to reacquaint myself with an oft misrepresented hop.

I also sampled an all POR beer was a local challenge last year where a group of us brewed a beer using the same grist, yeast and hopping schedule but with different hops. BigH used POR flowers and i was again impressed with the flavour and aroma.

I've used POR new season flowers in a couple of beers recently, a CSA style and an Aussie / Rice lager. In both cases they have turned out fairly bitter for the quantities used (CSA - 35g 60 mins, Carlton clone 20g 90 mins).
Unlike the good Dr I do actually enjoy a nice pale crisp Carltonish style (I've just about nailed the good old Brisbane Bulimba Carlton Draught we used to get in the 70s) but I think I'll need to wind back even further to perhaps 15g. I believe that at about 8.5% AA the original POR was the highest AA hop then in existence, but I see from my latest batch that they have crept up to 10.2%. Obviously some breedin' going on there :rolleyes:

...but I see from my latest batch that they have crept up to 10.2%. Obviously some breedin' going on there :rolleyes:

The latest batch from Ellerslie is 11.31%. I've got a CPA fermenting ATM with it and it's not actually very POR at all - fruitier than Oxford St on a Saturday night.

Hints of Galaxy...

I think POR is great and is seriously misrepresented in so many beers. I have used POR in plenty of beers with great results!

So, I have an abundance of POR flowers and pellets. Do you guys think I could use them in something like an ordinary bitter or ESB as a series of single hop additions, or would you recommend combining them with another hop? My bitters have done just fine with only EKG or Northdown, for example, but I was worried POR might not stand up very well on its own...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers - Snow.

I haven't used it late but I have used fresh flowers as a bittering addition only. I think they work well. I recently made a lager and pushed the maltiness so it's more in line with German than Aussie but with a fresh PoR flavour.

Not sure how it would go if you're planning on adding in some flavour hops/dry hops (and I mean not sure because I haven't)

ive previously used POR as a finishing hop :eek: it came out really well. it was a rice lager. seriously underrated hop. esp in lawnmower quaffer beers

edit: here was is.
Aussie Gold Digger Lager - Aussie style lager

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.85
Anticipated OG: 1.069
Anticipated SRM: 6.5
Anticipated IBU: 28.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
34.2 2.00 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
34.2 2.00 kg. Pilsner Australia 1.037 1
17.1 1.00 kg. Rice Solids Generic 1.040 0
5.1 0.30 kg. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
5.1 0.30 kg. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
4.3 0.25 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 19.1 60 min.
10.00 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 3.4 15 min.
20.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 5.7 10 min.
20.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
fermentis 34/70 german lager or recultered coopers

Mash Schedule
Protein Rest Temp : 50 Time: 20
Intermediate Rest Temp : 63 Time: 60
Saccharification Rest Temp : 72 Time: 10
Mash-out Rest Temp : 78 Time: 0

great recipe to show off POR and how much of a maligned hop it is. this is a great beer. I took it to a bbq of friends who dont mind my brews and they loved the beer.

edit: link fixed. post 1466.

have used it for years as it was the only hop that i could grow and the rhizomes have travelled to 6 houses that i have lived in.
The last move was 7 yrs ago and will get at least 1kg of dry cones.loved doing a harvest ale with wet hop.used it in most beers as my bittering hop using 20-40gr per brew.

I've always tried to avoid it. I didn't want to make anything that tasted like commercial beer. After reading everyone's replies, I might have to give it a go.

I've always tried to avoid it. I didn't want to make anything that tasted like commercial beer. After reading everyone's replies, I might have to give it a go.
this one tastes nothing like commercial beer. try it. coupled with rye its awsome. absolute quaffer.

Disease Reaction: Downy mildew, powdery mildew, and aphis are absent from Australia so its susceptibility to these is immaterial.

Well whoever wrote this isn't very well informed or doesn't grow their own vegies!!!
all these problems exist in Aus. I am guessing the article was written a while ago, I have read that statement somewhere before, just not sure where

Back