Pride of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying an Aussie lager at the moment that I dry hopped with POR on day seven and to me it reminds me of that beer taste from when I was a kid.
Bitter enough without coating your toung and a sweet beery aroma.
I've named this beer as VBBB, Very Best Breakfast Beer. **** Yea.

image.jpg

After popular demand: :lol:
(from post 303 of the 2016WAYB thread)

Rezza Pride

Vol = 24L

OG = 1.043

FG = 1.008

IBU = 28.1

EBC = 13

alc = 4.9%

4.10 kg (91.1%) Ale (Viking)

0.25 kg (5.6%) Victory (Briess)

0.075 kg (1.7%) Med Crystal (Simpsons)

0.075 kg (1.7%) Acidulated (Wey)

10g Pride of Ringwood (8.3%AA) @ FWH

35g Pride of Ringwood (8.3%AA) @20mins (cubed)

25g Pride of Ringwood (8.3%AA) dry hopped

1.4gCaSO4 + 0.9g MgSO4 + 2.2g CaCl2 into Mash

1.3gCaSO4 +0.8g MgSO4 + 1.9g CaCl2 +0.3g Citric acid into Sparge

0.5gCaSO4 +0.3g MgSO4 + 1.0g CaCl2 into Boil

Mash: 55/65/72/78 for 5/70/20/5

18L Mash

16L Sparge

Yeast: US-05 at 19°C

---------------

As stated, very chuffed with how this has turned out.

Not super impressive on either the hops or the malt fronts, but still manages to power through as a beer i've really loved over the last few openings - a beer that's really well balanced - partly from the general bitterness levels, attenuation, etc, but mainly from the impact of the hops.

For me, it's been a great example of exactly how PoR can be a fantastic hops - solid & "sharp" bitterness with subtle-but-significant fruitiness and spiciness that has an impact but still lets the malts shine.

technobabble66 said:
After popular demand: :lol:
(from post 303 of the 2016WAYB thread)

Rezza Pride
Thanks for posting that technobabble, I've just bought a bag of PoR and keen to see how it stands on its own late. What water profile are you aiming for with those salt additions? Are you starting from RO water?

Cheers,

No wukkas.
Starting with northern Melbourne water, which is very soft.
I'm not at home to check, but it'll probably be targeting ~60ppm calcium, ~60-80ppm sulfate & chloride, with a 1:1 ratio.
I'll check later to confirm.
I think I kept it fairly neutral to support both the malts and the hops/bitterness.

Looks nice, I've done a few bitsa beers myself adding por, all have come up good to great.

My stout is my show case beer I've done using por, is a versatile classic aussie hop.

So many put it down, I like it....

Coodgee said:
What is that lovely floral aroma in cascade lager? Is that por as a late addition?
If you are referring to the "Premium" lager, it's Summer hops as the late addition.
They used to use Hersbrucker.

Bribie G said:
If you are referring to the "Premium" lager, it's Summer hops as the late addition.
They used to use Hersbrucker.
Thanks mate i really enjoy one of those beers on occasion. Don't have a recipe do you?

I did an Aussie lager a while back (check the recipe DB) and feedback at the NSW comp was that it was a little too malty and dark for a pale lager. That said, it scored well. I tried to capture the 'essence' of the likes of Carlton Draught and Melbourne Bitter that have quite a bit of earthy nose to them that and the polarising taste that wins with the masses but doesn't appeal at all to APA fans.
As per post 50 the beer had 6g of hops added at whirlpool which I then no-chilled. It had a bit of late bite and I was stoked with the results. Feedback from the swap ranged from "wow", "pride of ringwood yeah? Sorry, can't enjoy it" to "doesn't take like Draught to me, I reckon it's better but it's not like Draught". So to up the ante I did a brew on the weekend and made a few subtle changes -

2.2kg pils malt
18g roast barley, no caramalt
650g dextrose mid-ferment
Aiming for 1.004 FG

16g PoR at 60 mins
8g PoR into the cube

I'm hoping this cube addition will bring more to the party, will report back once in the glass.

I dry hop most of my Aussie lagers with POR and Cluster these days and am getting addicted.

I've just moved and have not got any grain yet so I just went to woolies and managed to get a coopers Australian PA for $11 so I thought why not I haven't done a kit in years and just wanted something on the taps in my new pad, used BE2 and I have some left over hops in the freezer, a little EKG and a bit more POR, I was gonna dry hop but was reluctant to use the POR but after reading through this I might just give it a crack, I've only ever used it as a bittering hop in my Aussie lagers!

Coodgee said:
Thanks mate i really enjoy one of those beers on occasion. Don't have a recipe do you?
Sorry I missed your post.
The recipe I usually use (got to second place in the Pale Lagers in the Nats a few years ago) is based on something that an unfortunate lass at Cascade's PR inadvertently leaked in an Email to someone on the forum. I can't find the post again for the life of me, but it went something like this:

Dear **
Of course being home brewers, the methods we use at Cascade with malted barley and hops would be beyond your capabilities and methods, and you would be better advised to use one of our excellent Cascade Kits, but for your information, the we use the following ingredients and methods in our ....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bingo.

One of my variants (combined with info I've had in the past from a CUB brewer) is:

Cascade Premium
Australian Premium Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.800
Total Hops (g): 40.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.88 %
Colour (SRM): 3.4 (EBC): 6.7
Bitterness (IBU): 20.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pale Malt Barrett Burston (93.75%)
0.300 kg Cane Sugar (6.25%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 120 Minutes.
Fermented at 13°C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager

Quite simple but it's all in the scheduling:
Mash: 63 degrees for 2 hours then ramp up gradually to a 20 min mashout

Ferment at 13 degrees for a few days then gradually raise to 19 degrees - 10 days in all
Lager at 3 degrees for 10 days.

Bribie G said:
Sorry I missed your post.The recipe I usually use (got to second place in the Pale Lagers in the Nats a few years ago) is based on something that an unfortunate lass at Cascade's PR inadvertently leaked in an Email to someone on the forum. I can't find the post again for the life of me, but it went something like this: Dear **Of course being home brewers, the methods we use at Cascade with malted barley and hops would be beyond your capabilities and methods, and you would be better advised to use one of our excellent Cascade Kits, but for your information, the we use the following ingredients and methods in our .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bingo. One of my variants (combined with info I've had in the past from a CUB brewer) is: Cascade PremiumAustralian Premium LagerRecipe Specs----------------Batch Size (L): 23.0Total Grain (kg): 4.800Total Hops (g): 40.00Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.88 %Colour (SRM): 3.4 (EBC): 6.7Bitterness (IBU): 20.8 (Average)Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70Boil Time (Minutes): 60Grain Bill----------------4.500 kg Pale Malt Barrett Burston (93.75%)0.300 kg Cane Sugar (6.25%)Hop Bill----------------20.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)20.0 g Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.9 g/L)Misc Bill----------------Single step Infusion at 63°C for 120 Minutes.Fermented at 13°C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager Quite simple but it's all in the scheduling:Mash: 63 degrees for 2 hours then ramp up gradually to a 20 min mashout Ferment at 13 degrees for a few days then gradually raise to 19 degrees - 10 days in allLager at 3 degrees for 10 days.
Hi Bribie,
Tks for receipe, I'm doing a few lagers ATM for summer. Got a few mega swill mates so might give this one ago.
I don't have any Danish yeast but got S189,
How do you think it would go on this?

I haven't used s189 Swiss before but have read somewhere that craft brewer used it on Aussie styles.

Have you used this yeast before mate?

S189 would be fine. It goes ok at higher temps and Bacchus used it and S-23 in their lagers, probably still do.

Latest posts

Back