Pride of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone done an IPA or APA with lots of late PoR?

I've got lots to use and this might be an option.
Fwiw, I believe the 3rd Hop Thief Ale was all/mainly PoR

I've not tried it, but would have thought you've now got plenty of stock bittering hops to use that would be perfectly usable though.

Try a smash with a bit of late hop and see what it comes out like if you're really interested.

POR not recommended for late hopping, it's a bittering hop where a distinctive flavour carries through, but late hopping can result in a "coarse" flavour apparently, but try it and see.

I reckon it'd be pretty coarse unless it has a long conditioning period to soften it. Let us know how you go if you try something though. I'd go easy on it though.

Cheers, guys for the comments.
Yeah, i'm under the impression it's a bit harsh or sharp on the bittering. However, i struggled to find much mention of direct experience with heavy late hopping, so i thought i'd ask. Like many of these things, it seems you've got to give it a shot and see how your tastebuds like it. Yet another brew onto the list!
I guess it kinda seems that the feedback for PoR is slightly similar to Galaxy with it's reputation for harsh bitterness.

Might aim for a chunk of FWH, then cube-hop or late+chill.

Any experience out there with using PoR for dry-hopping?

I dry hopped with a little. My conclusion is its an early hop. It has distinction in that way. May be due to rare brews overall on a global scale.

edit: Then again I envy anyone growing POR for fresh hops beer I would really love to try some all fresh hop Pride Of Ringwood harvest Ale.

I've used POR late once doing this recipe. I didn't find it to be harsh at all.
That being said, I don't think it would be an ideal IPA hop. It had a complex/muddy resinous herbal flavour similar to rosemary and oregano. I think it would be a great hop to support other in an IPA but wouldn't do well as a signature hop, maybe a bit like colombus.

Cheers franks. That's the sort of detailed description I was keen to hear. Recipe looks good too, though I'm not sure about those yank units. Ounces?!? Pounds?!?

To be honest, resinous sounds good. Hey, I *like* Columbus!
Though I s'pose rosemary & oregano sound a bit odd in a beer. And I do find sometimes Columbus comes out dank and resinous, other times it's much more herbal.
Sigh - this hops stuff is so damn complicated sometimes!!

Danscraftbeer said:
I dry hopped with a little. My conclusion is its an early hop. It has distinction in that way. May be due to rare brews overall on a global scale.

edit: Then again I envy anyone growing POR for fresh hops beer I would really love to try some all fresh hop Pride Of Ringwood harvest Ale.
With my harvest of POR flowers I solely use it all late. I don't like overly bitter beers so I use 1g/l at 15, 10 and 5g/l at 0. Then no chill. Usually a lager sometimes an ale with a base of 93% pilsner and 7% carahell. This is my house beer until I run out. I find no harshness. You do get a distinctive flavour note to it.
I'm a fan. If only because I grew the hops. I am the only one to drink it so i might have bad taste in beer though. :)

Considering PoR's prevalence in the Aussie market and general aversion to standard Aussie beers amongst us beer snobs, it's certainly a 'horses for courses' hop. NickJD did a good explanation of it somewhere here, in that PoR is more along the lines of a cigar, strong whiskey or the woody character in a red that sweet wine tasters might detest. American flavour hops on the other hand are like a fine perfume, aroma that appeals and sweetly scented to make people go "that smells nice". Pride I find to ballsy no-nonsense hop that I personally enjoy and think is in a class of its own in the right profile. A stinky VB just wouldn't have that same thirst quenching power you get on a 40°C after mowing the lawn, and changing to something like Amarillo wouldn't suit at all. I go through as much PoR as any other hop, other staple hops being EKG, Saaz and Cascade.
James Boag's Draught apparently have a late addition of PoR in the boil. It's one of my preferred lagers, so my next lager is going to get similar treatment. It's a few brews away yet but I'll let you know how it turns out. I might like it and others might hate it, but I like Boag's Draught and many here don't so that has to be considered.

technobabble66 said:

Yes. I tried late hopping with POR a long time ago in a golden ale. It does not taste good, I wouldn't recommend it. It has a little citrus-like character but is rough and is just not pleasant at all.

I only brew cans and the latest is a Beer makers Bitter with other shit and 20 g of POR dry hopped .
It gives a nice aroma and Aussie taste without the tounge coating bitterness of steeped hops.
Too easy to swallow, I'm gunna be wobbly soon.

I'd hazard that its probably good in the right amounts. But honestly I've had a few brews that have that POR twang, where its sort of juicy/off juicy. If you put too much in.
I have had a few beers now I really wish I held back on the amount of POR in there.

But if you but a small amount in then you get a more subtle assertive bitterness that goes well with other hops.

To give a taste descriptor for others that I find for myself (others may vary), for early additions.

It has a sort of semi fermented/rotted fruit juiciness to it that subsides with conditioning time.
It has a real herbally fruity mix that can be over powering if used too heavily.

Yea I am on my way trying different hops.in my beers and POR has supprized me when dry hopped, it's sort of fruity and beery ?

Might need to do a bit of re-thinking, Gents.

'Looks like POR is no longer being grown in preference for "Super-Pride".

Do your own research...

I've got it now
MartinOC said:
Might need to do a bit of re-thinking, Gents.

'Looks like POR is no longer being grown in preference for "Super-Pride".

Do your own research...

I have some 2015 POR, but I swear you can buy 2016 of it anyhow?

I saw that spiel by hops.com.au that they weren't growing POR anymore, but there are other growers out there.

technobabble66 said:

Yes, I have late hopped a DSGA with POR back in the day when I didn't know any better........I wouldn't recommend it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477828159.039360.jpg
Pic of my single hop PoR Aussie Ale.
Such a simple beer, but I reckon it's one of my best beers yet. PoR works so well in this I'm honestly amazed - a little fruitiness, spiciness, and something else. A sharp, solid, but non-rough bitterness. The hops are doing something but the malts still shine through well.

The subtle middle finger in the pic is for those that shitcan PoR

Hey Technobabble66, can you please share your recipe. Im growing POR hops so I mite give it a go when ready.
I have also tried someones brew that was just a can of cooper pale ale with 50grams of POR at 0min for 20mins and it tasted great.
It will be a nice change up to try it over the popular current hop bombs.

Latest posts

Back