Pressure Transfer Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloveski

Reaction score
Righto guys I have an issue with the last two brews and for the life of me I cant work out what went wrong.

I pressure ferment and then pressure transferred to two kegs under pressure with loose hops, put the dip tube in a hop filter.

I successfully done this on the last two previous brews with no issue but this time after I cold crashed and then tried to transfer to other kegs neither brew would transfer.

I added pressure to hopping keg and had another keg wih less pressure and a spunding valve , nothing would transfer.
My next move was to place hopping keg on a stool and have a gas to gas line connect and a out line to outline connected and then relieve pressure on the pressure relief valve still no go. So I had to transfer using a racking cane pretty much making the whole pressure ferment a waste of time and I lost a few lites out of each keg

I thought maybe the poppet valves on the hopping kegs may have been blocked but they were clean as a whistle.

I'm really stumped to what went wrong as the last two kegs worked fine using this technique before but I am wasting litres of beer If I cant get this to work consistently

Any help would be appreciated because this has thrown a big spanner in the works for me and I am stumped to be honest

Were the pressures equal? As I do mine in the cubes it may be slightly different but I have to relay the pressure from the cube being filled back into the cube doing the filling. Therefore not losing any co2

Were the pressures equal? As I do mine in the cubes it may be slightly different but I have to relay the pressure from the cube being filled back into the cube doing the filling. Therefore not losing any co2

Receiving keg has slightly less

I've had problems on and off myself. Blocked poppets and blocked quick disconnects. I got some respite by relieving pressure from the kegmenter and removing the poppet from the two kegs and the pins from quick disconnects. Transfer as per normal and then purge pressure from the kegmenter when you want to stop transfer (sort of).

I've just tried a fermentasaurus floating dip line in my last transfer. Seemed to work better but still had some slow periods of transfer to get through.

I've had problems on and off myself. Blocked poppets and blocked quick disconnects. I got some respite by relieving pressure from the kegmenter and removing the poppet from the two kegs and the pins from quick disconnects. Transfer as per normal and then purge pressure from the kegmenter when you want to stop transfer (sort of).

I've just tried a fermentasaurus floating dip line in my last transfer. Seemed to work better but still had some slow periods of transfer to get through.

I do transfer from my pressure fermenter using a floating dip line and this has worked fine for me , I might just start using a hop sock again just in case the issue arises again and I will have to open keg lid and remove hops. Defeats the purpose a bit but atleast I am not wasting beer. Really just want a consitent method that eliminates oxygen getting to my beer

I might also cut a little off the end of my dip tubes to see if this may have been the issue as they were a tight fit . Still keen to persevere with this technique as I’m finding the loose hop technique seems to give a hoppier beer for longer

did you get to the bottom of this? I am having similar issues at the moment.

only thing i can think of is if there is still krausen or anything the ball is floating on that and the hose is above the beer.

I've drilled out a 3mm side through hole on the float receiver / pick up for this very reason - sometimes its open end gets stuck to the wall and the transfer stalls... I'll take a pic once the current batch is done.

Back