Pressure transfer always slow.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fleabag

Reaction score
Far out this process takes a while. Anyone have tips on how long it should take? I think the fermenter is at about 14psi, and keg is at 7. Taken nearly an hour for about 10L to transfer.

Is this normal? Should I aim for a greater pressure difference? Worried I’ll just transfer foam if the keg is too low.

Edit: I should add the beer in the fermenter is already carbonated...

IMG_5582.JPG

Last edited:
I don't use a saurus but I pressure transfer from cubes to kegs. Put in a few psi into the cube and just have the keg at atmospheric pressure. If you transfer from the primary at or less of the same level as is dissolved in solution then I'm guessing you'll be ok?

Seems like an awfully long time. I take it you would have checked if there's anything partially blocking the pick up tube and everything in between? I transfer the exact same way and it takes around 15 minutes for a full corny keg.

If you had about 50kPa of difference it would be happening a lot faster (minutes). The gauges on regulators are rarely anything other than approximate (especially cheap Chinese ones), better to just reduce the back pressure (adjust the relief valve) until you get a reasonable flow.
Mark

Seems like an awfully long time. I take it you would have checked if there's anything partially blocking the pick up tube and everything in between? I transfer the exact same way and it takes around 15 minutes for a full corny keg.

Is that transferring carbed beer?

Spunding valve stuck / blocked?

Maybe a bit crap (waiting on the PRV BB), but I can hear gas coming out.

Probably just need a bigger difference in pressure between vessels. Was wondering if there’s a magic number where the gas will come out of solution, then set to just below that.

My pressure transfer from Fermentasaurus to Keg takes about 30 mins for 20L, that's with 30psi on the Fermentasaurus and the keg at atmosphere. I've never been able to get it any faster. I read somewhere on another thread it tends to be slow as the pickup SS part is hugging the side of the Fermentasaurus and this slows it down. Can be fixed by drilling a few holes in the SS part of the pickup tube. No idea if this is correct or not but would love to hear a solution.

mine takes about 20 mins, I only have about 5 or so psi in the saurus, don't want to risk foaming.
I just assume because its a long thin tube, it'll always take some time, also, the more pressure you put in, and the bigger the pressure drop to the keg, the more likely, you're collapsing the pick up tube, and making matters worse.

I transfer mine from the Saurus to the kegs at 10 psi with keg at 2-4 psi in about 10 to 15 min with no foaming on partially carbed beer. I’ve had similar issues with slow transfers and every time it was restricted at the post, try pulling the liquid post on the saurus apart and check there is no Hop matter stuck up in there around the spring and seat, I’ve also had an issue with a cheap ball lock connector that didn’t fully depress the seat on the liquid post

Is that transferring carbed beer?
Partially carbonated. I transfer fully carbonated from keg to keg and it doesn't seem to make any difference to me. As MHB suggests, I find gauges on the spunding valve and the regulator to have minimal accuracy. In fact I hardly use them as a guide, especially when transferring.

Occasionally, the stainless pick up pipe that's connected to the silicone tube gets "sucked" to the wall of the Saurus. So the only way the brew can get through is those tiny ring holes and it takes FOREVER to transfer.
I've drilled a through hole (about 3mm dia) through the stainless pick up pipe - this way the brew still gets through if the above happens.
Either that, or you may have hop particles blocking the plumbing (posts)?

Occasionally, the stainless pick up pipe that's connected to the silicone tube gets "sucked" to the wall of the Saurus. So the only way the brew can get through is those tiny ring holes and it takes FOREVER to transfer.
I've drilled a through hole (about 3mm dia) through the stainless pick up pipe - this way the brew still gets through if the above happens.
Either that, or you may have hop particles blocking the plumbing (posts)?
You could try putting a silicone oring over the outside of the tube end to reduce the chance of it being auctioned onto the wall. Just a thought, I don't actually own one!

Part of me thinks maybe the liquid out post on the saurus is misbehaving. Will dismantle and check. Always have trouble getting the disconnect to engage.

So tried again yesterday, did 2 things first: dismantled the out post and gave it a clean, and drilled a hole through the side of the pickup tube.

Absolutely ripped through the transfer. Thanks for the tips!

Back