Pressure Relief Valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
Hi, just bought a couple of kegs which come with plastic flipper tabs to operate the prv. The seals on them are majorly compressed/deformed and I want to get new O'rings. They werent included in the seal kit that came with the kegs. Anyone know where to source o'rings for these?

prv_pics.jpg

Alternatively, can I swap the PRVs for newer/more common ones?

hope I can sort it quickly as Im all excited to keg my first beer but frustrated as I have no functioning PRV!!!

I liked the idea of these PRV's in principle, but found them less reliable than the more common ring/pull type. Perhaps a coincidence but an observation nonetheless. Had the occasional keg lose its pressure and I suspect one of in particular was responsible for emptying a next to fresh CO2 bottle :angry: If I came across the latter cheaply enough I'd replace all my 3 or 4 "lever" types.

I liked the idea of these PRV's in principle, but found them less reliable than the more common ring/pull type. Perhaps a coincidence but an observation nonetheless. Had the occasional keg lose its pressure and I suspect one of in particular was responsible for emptying a next to fresh CO2 bottle :angry: If I came across the latter cheaply enough I'd replace all my 3 or 4 "lever" types.

Interesting, i have found the opposite - i may just have a few good flip tops.

i am reasonably sure you can get the p.r.v's at grain and grape ut i have nfi on the "o" rings.

i think it has nothing to do with the style, but the little rubber disc that seals-or is supposed to seal the hole in the lid.
i havent seen any retailer that sells these little discs, you can buy the little orings for poppits, but not the discs.

OzBrew sell the o rings for that type of PRV. I haven't been able to find them anywhere else.

on closer inspection of my existing prvs it appears the o=-ing is not an o-ring but a bevelled seal..flat on the top (wher the prv plunger sits), tapering down toward the hole in the lid...sort of triangular in cross section rather than a standard o-ring...Anyway Ive sent an email to Ozbrew and hope they can help me out...will be pretty annoyed if I cant get these working and have to purchase new lids after just purchasing the kegs!!! :angry:

on closer inspection of my existing prvs it appears the o=-ing is not an o-ring but a bevelled seal..flat on the top (wher the prv plunger sits), tapering down toward the hole in the lid...sort of triangular in cross section rather than a standard o-ring...Anyway Ive sent an email to Ozbrew and hope they can help me out...will be pretty annoyed if I cant get these working and have to purchase new lids after just purchasing the kegs!!! :angry:

If you can fit the standard corny lid on your kegs, it may be cheaper and easier in the long run to replace the lids with ones that have the pull-type PRVs than to dick around with the current setup. I have two firestone/mytton rodd kegs and it has been quite an effort to find all of the various seals and parts to refurbish them.

If you can fit the standard corny lid on your kegs, it may be cheaper and easier in the long run to replace the lids with ones that have the pull-type PRVs than to dick around with the current setup. I have two firestone/mytton rodd kegs and it has been quite an effort to find all of the various seals and parts to refurbish them.

yeah, I ve just refurbished a couple of those too...found a great mob in SA that helped me out!
great to deal with and had all the bits and pieces I needed (though their gas dip tubes were too large!)​

I have 2 kegs with the same PRV. I am at work atm so can't check them right now but are you able to make something to suit from a silicone baking tray?

Just popped in to a local Bearing dealer and he measured the existing seal, then gave me 10 new ones for free!!...awesome! :D

Hi, just bought a couple of kegs which come with plastic flipper tabs to operate the prv. The seals on them are majorly compressed/deformed and I want to get new O'rings. They werent included in the seal kit that came with the kegs. Anyone know where to source o'rings for these?

View attachment 56953

Alternatively, can I swap the PRVs for newer/more common ones?

hope I can sort it quickly as Im all excited to keg my first beer but frustrated as I have no functioning PRV!!!
Please contact MHB, as I'm sure he had some replacement metal PRV's, but they will need to be welded on to replace the current PRV, if that appeals?

Please contact MHB, as I'm sure he had some replacement metal PRV's, but they will need to be welded on to replace the current PRV, if that appeals?

OK now I see the type you have, yes MHB sold me the upgrade thingys but really they are only of help if you can access a stainless welder (I can and fixed mine). I believe he was looking into a weldless type replacement, they were here on AHB someplace.

Who sold you those kegs? Whoever it was knew the PRV's are a problem, I'd be complaining to them.

batz

OK now I see the type you have, yes MHB sold me the upgrade thingys but really they are only of help if you can access a stainless welder (I can and fixed mine). I believe he was looking into a weldless type replacement, they were here on AHB someplace.

Who sold you those kegs? Whoever it was knew the PRV's are a problem, I'd be complaining to them.

batz

Yeah what a jerk, i'd demand your money back :)

Back