Pressure Release Valve On Keg Faulty?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just received my latest keg order from BD, and once of the kegs doesn't hold pressure. These are the expensive rebuilt ones :(

I have played around with it, and it is the pressure release valve not completley sealing - detergent spray shows that really well.

So.... before I pull it apart, what should I be looking for - I would like to attempt to sort it out before trying to get a new valve from BD - they aren't exactly quick or easy to email!

Matt

mobrien said:
Hi guys,

I just received my latest keg order from BD, and once of the kegs doesn't hold pressure. These are the expensive rebuilt ones :(

I have played around with it, and it is the pressure release valve not completley sealing - detergent spray shows that really well.

So.... before I pull it apart, what should I be looking for - I would like to attempt to sort it out before trying to get a new valve from BD - they aren't exactly quick or easy to email!

Matt
[post="84748"][/post]​

Screw the relief value out (just use the ring) My guess is something is under the seat.
Give it all rinse under the tap , and put it back and try it.

Batz

Also a tip. When your keg is full of cleaning solution and has some pressure in it, turn it upside down and open the relief valve (being careful of course not so spray dangerous substances all over the place).

Also, when you disassemble the PRV from the lid, a swipe(light film) of keg lube on the mating face wont hurt either.

3 out of 4 of my kegs just needed a new O-ring on the PRV. My guess (with my experience of reconditioning all of 4, that's right, 4 crusty kegs) is the seal between the keg and the valve, rather than a faulty valve.

Thanks for all the replies!

I pulled it apart and washed it out - still no diff.

Vaseline on the o ring, and it seems to be holding now - will give it 24 hours to see for sure. Might see if I can just get the o ring for the bottom.

Thanks again!

Matt

Matt,
I think that vaseline will quickly corrode the o-rings (it is petrolium based)
Get a tube of keg-lube. It will last for ever.
cheers
Darren

Back