Pressure rated stainless fermenter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was funny at the time, but took him a long time to recover poor bloke!

What is it with bloody shoulders? Been active for 68yrs, and the only injuries were self inflicted, and usually involving a motorbike.
Three months ago I went to bed after a fairly big day but nothing special (renovating) and woke up in agony, unable to move head/neck/shoulders/arms.
Ahaa! "you've annoyed your bursae" says the doc, annoyed it! I'd wring it's effin neck if I could get hold of it, 3 months in and after CT scans, X rays, ultra sounds (no I'm not pregnant) and cortisone jabs, I've got about 30% in my right arm/shoulder and 60% in my left.
"You're doing really well considering your age" says the physio, I managed to remain civil.
This old age retirement thing is most definitely over-rated imho.
Stop grumbling I’ve got bursitis in both shoulders and hip. Can’t walk on a roof and especially hilly country.
Cortisone works for a little bit then back to where you were.
There’s nothing wrong with the retirement thing, it’s just that the body can’t enjoy it like we would like.
At least when you wake up you don’t have to wonder what part of your body is gunna ache for the day.
I always said that we can’t wait for the kids to move out but by the time they do we can’t remember what we wanted to do when they did🤷‍♂️😤

Bloody hell, I didn't know you had them in your hips as well, more joy to look forward to I suppose.
Interesting comment about the cortisone, my medics gave me the impression that if it worked (not guaranteed apparently) then with physio I'd get back to normal eventually, being an idiot I thought they were talking a few weeks.
As philrob mentioned there's always surgery, did you look into that avenue?

Ahhh cmon guys, surely we could get some basic details, cone angle (if it has one) tc ports, capacity ish, pressure raring?
Genuine query btw, due to recent events ^ my ability to cart stuff around has become severely limited so am looking at re jigging my brewery.
Would love some of the US stuff SS/Spike and their prices are reasonable but add shipping and I just can't justify it.
I'm currently talking to a couple of Chinese companies but the quality is always going to be a bit of a gamble, and I'd much rather get something from an Aussie company (yeh it's going to be made in China) but at least it will have some quality assurance done (mmm that would depend on who's doing it?)

How about on the count of three you each tell who is making what so we at least know you are both talking about the same thing.

Also if the source is the same it's already been told to both of you and technically no longer a secret so you are welcome to share.

How about on the count of three you each tell who is making what so we at least know you are both talking about the same thing.

Also if the source is the same it's already been told to both of you and technically no longer a secret so you are welcome to share.
It’s also a 35Lt

Bloody hell, I didn't know you had them in your hips as well, more joy to look forward to I suppose.
Interesting comment about the cortisone, my medics gave me the impression that if it worked (not guaranteed apparently) then with physio I'd get back to normal eventually, being an idiot I thought they were talking a few weeks.
We have about 150 bursar in our bodies. I think they are where the tendons join onto the bone at the joints
In time it won’t stop you from doing things but you will pay the price later. I find that at the end of the day I feel what’s wrong and where
It’s a good excuse to drink home brew to make you feel better for a few minutes

Attachments

• 1FBE4079-32F4-4569-9C67-8A054EE33CCD.jpeg
    1FBE4079-32F4-4569-9C67-8A054EE33CCD.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 42
What is it with bloody shoulders? Been active for 68yrs, and the only injuries were self inflicted, and usually involving a motorbike.
Three months ago I went to bed after a fairly big day but nothing special (renovating) and woke up in agony, unable to move head/neck/shoulders/arms.
Ahaa! "you've annoyed your bursae" says the doc, annoyed it! I'd wring it's effin neck if I could get hold of it, 3 months in and after CT scans, X rays, ultra sounds (no I'm not pregnant) and cortisone jabs, I've got about 30% in my right arm/shoulder and 60% in my left.
"You're doing really well considering your age" says the physio, I managed to remain civil.
This old age retirement thing is most definitely over-rated imho.
Stop grumbling I’ve got bursitis in both shoulders and hip. Can’t walk on a roof and especially hilly country.
Cortisone works for a little bit then back to where you were.
There’s nothing wrong with the retirement thing, it’s just that the body can’t enjoy it like we would like.
At least when you wake up you don’t have to wonder what part of your body is gunna ache for the day.
I always said that we can’t wait for the kids to move out but by the time they do we can’t remember what we wanted to do when they did🤷‍♂️😤
I feel for you. I have been through the same thing. Fairly major surgery on each shoulder to fix it, the left in 2012, the right in Feb this year. On my first review with the surgeon after the surgery this year he managed to comment "that was worth doing, because your shoulder was a mess". Yeah, right, I know, I felt it from the inside for I don't know how long.
All good now though.
My old man tore his rotator cuff reaching for a cup in the cupboard...

Aghh, shoulders. So many people are suffering in silence. I feel for you guys. My wife almost recovered from a rotator cuff tear in one shoulder then the other one froze. She's 12 months into that now. I had recovered from calcific tendonitis and bursitis in one shoulder and now I have a bunch of torn tendons in the other. The surgeon said it's inoperable so I have to take care to not make it worse by tearing the few remaining threads. 30 minutes with a Physiotherapist costs more than two brews.
It would be hilarious if you could watch us opening a plastic fermenter, her trying to hold it while I attempt to open the lid. a simple job right, but it usually reduces at least one of us to tears. So, I really need better fermenters.
See the photos... I think this will make the job easier.
You might ask why I tighten the lid so much. It's because I maintain positive pressure, 1 psi, in fact anything above zero is enough to keep oxygen at bay. I've discovered that beer made without oxygen is quite nice but I could do without the pain.

Attachments

• Resized_20201029_160728.jpeg
    Resized_20201029_160728.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Resized_20201029_160804.jpeg
    Resized_20201029_160804.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 46
What a brilliant idea, you could also do something like a big nut cracker to hold the fermenter across the handle holes.

What a brilliant idea, you could also do something like a big nut cracker to hold the fermenter across the handle holes.
Yes that's a good idea, where the barrel has some strength. We'll try to get a grip on the fermenter with a wet beach towel next time and if that doesn't work I'll be back to the workshop.

I know you mentioned you don't like the thought of PET, but do consider the Keg King fermenters. They are rated to 2.4 Bar but are tested to 5. Each one is checked individually and they are made in Springvale, Victoria, Australia.

So supports local, it's safe and they are like $70.

Just food for though. If I had the cash to splash I would go with SS, but I don't so it was a choice made for me (by SWMBO) :D
Thanks for your feedback Kadmium. Locally made is important to me. SS is too for several reasons, one of which is that although I'll pay more I should never need to buy another.

Latest posts

Back