Pressure Fermented Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christy

Reaction score
Experimenting with pressure fermentation using a corny keg so the recipe is:

17 Lts of Woolies (or Coles) el cheapo apple juice
($1/Lt) make sure it's the no additives and no added sugar type​

850gms white sugar

500gms lactose

Dissolve the sugar and lactose in 4 Lts of the apple juice by warming it in a large saucepan, only warm it enough to dissolve the sugars.

All the ingredients into the keg with 3 drops of anti-foaming agent.

Added 1/2 teaspoon of the all-purpose yeast I use for wine-making.

Ferment for 5 days, cold crash for 2 days and it's ready to serve.

At the moment the verdict is delicious from the family and I'm fighting them to try and keep it for later in the year (I may have to make another batch).

c.

PRESSURE FERMENTING.jpg

The keg on the left is fermenting and purging the keg on the right for serving. It's a closed fermentation system no exposure to oxygen.

Very Interesting. Quick Cider. Cloudy sweeter younger Apple cider this I have to try. I'm guessing its under attenuated compared to letting it ferment out the longer time. Any more notes on the gravity readings? Pressures? Temps?

You mention adding white sugar and lactose (natural sugar). That seems like lots of sugar for 1/2 teaspoon of "all-purpose" (dry?) yeast to get stuck into? I too am interested in the gravity, pressure, temperature, etc. readings for your process.
I do like the closed ferment and serve process, am about to to do the same using a (fridged) Fermzilla. However, I intend to use 21 litres of (No preservatives and No added Sugar) Apple Juice and a 10g (2 teaspoons) sachet of Mangrove Jack's M02 Cider Yeast - leave out all the extra sugar/s. Hence why it would be good to see what your readings were. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back