Pressure Corny Sparging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
I have heard of people successfully mashing and sparging in a corny keg. I don't recall anyone mentioning forcing the wort out of the dip tube with air/CO2 pressure.

Has anyone tried this?

I am guessing I would need to put something over the end of the dip tube to stop grain working its way out. Also I was thinking of removing the poppet from the liquid out to avoid clogging.

Jeez, it would be hard to keep the temp stable, plus at only about 19L you couldn't do areally big (in terms of OG) without maybe adding extract to the kettle.

I guess it would still be gravity that forced the sparge water through the grain, irrespective of the pressure you'd have inside to pump the wort out. Maybe you could use one of those scrubbies as the filter element - just have it wrapped around the dip tube.

Is it all worth it? :)

I have heard of people using cornys for mashing so I expect the temperature control can be overcome (wrap it up).

As for pressure vs gravity, I don't think the juice would flow up the dip tube under gravity unless the wort level was higher than the top of the dip tube, mostly it is not. Same with serving beer, no pressure, no beer.

When it comes to trouble, I have a corny empty waiting for a brew to finish so I figure it wouldn't be that hard to try, wack a scrubby in and off I go.

If you really wanna try a AG let me know and borrow mine!

.... just need to sort you out with a boiler and then you can borrow my system. use it over the weekend etc as i can plan my brewing around it

(and let me know if you need grain / crushing)
Ben

Latest posts

Back