Preserving the rust look of rust....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosco

Reaction score
Just wondering if any one here has any experience in coating rust to keep the rust look but stop it getting rust stains on other stuff? Yep.

We got a cheap (cheapest and best looking we could find) steel decorative screen and put it up at the end of our decking between 2 post's. It looks great but I know its going to drip rusty water on to the decking. They are made to be mounted on a wall but I put through the side to mount it so its pretty exposed to the weather. I also drilled 2 drainage holes in the bottom so it cant collect water. So rusty water will be draining on to the deck at some stage. Cant be avoided I don't think.

Any way the only things I can find to use online are WD40 which sounds like a shit idea or Penetrol. Pentrol is an oil based paint additive. The results I have seen online look ok but it could be also be slightly better than WD40. The back of the screen is fully exposed to the weather.

Does any one have a better solution or have you used Penetrol before?

Cheers.

try this stuff
ankor wax
i know they use it on the rats and rods that around

If it came rusty it might be corten steel. The rust is actually a protective layer and the product is designed to look this way, it shouldn't actually drip rusty water.

From the Dulux website: “Enjoy the refined modern industrial textural effect of polished concrete.” Hmmmm…

If it came rusty it might be corten steel. The rust is actually a protective layer and the product is designed to look this way, it shouldn't actually drip rusty water.
I doubt its made from corten or it would be a lot more expensive i think. But it does sound like something similar.

"Oxy-Shield is a specially formulated landscaping steel designed to impart a decorative rust-look without the inherent degradation of regular steel." I should have read the instructions :D

Its definitely made to rust but i thought it was a bit thin and erm..cheaper. You could be on the right track Mitch. Maybe ill wait and see how it goes?

Plenty of rust converters on the market.
If it starts to drip rust stains it might be a good option, in that most other products would require a lot of surface prep, converter not so much.
It looks pretty good and is pretty tough to, so wont need touching up every week.
Mark

One of the fish oil- based lacquers or xtroll, they are clear and long- lasting. You may want more of a matte finish so if need be use either of these and then a coat or two of your your preferred clear lacquer topcoat. I'm no painter but that's probably what I would look to do.

Back