Preservatives In Commercial Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember that that's a UK site. As far as I'm aware, breweries now fall under the same regulations for disclosing these things on the label just like wineries, and they've cleverly gotten around it by stopping using them.

According to this page the most common preservative in beer in Australia is Nisin.

Beers,
Doc

AB

The site your are looking for is "Food Standards Australia New Zealand". Website is here. The site has all of the labelling requirements etc.

Cheers
Pedro

And some more on Nisin as a preservative from a US site here

In the U.S., nisin is used to inhibit outgrowth of Clostridium botulinum spores (the cause of botulism) and toxin formation in pasteurized process cheese spreads with fruits, vegetables or meats at levels not exceeding good manufacturing practice. Current good manufacturing practice in this case is the quantity of the ingredient that delivers a maximum of 250 p.p.m. of nisin in the finished product. Nisaplin-brand nisin is also approved for liquid egg products, dressings, and sauces. In other countries it is also used in fresh and recombined milk, fermented beverages like beer, canned foods, frozen desserts, and high moisture/reduced fat foods.

Nisin is considered effective at controlling a wide range of gram-positive organisms including: Listeria, enterococcus, Bacillus sporothermodurans, and clostridium. Used alone, it is not effective on gram-negative bacteria (like E coli ), yeasts, and molds.

Beers,
Doc

Alien boy said:
I'm trying to refine my googling to aussie beers only.Any hints or tips appreciated.
[post="56107"][/post]​

One handy litte hint. Use the google site: function. This restricts the search to only sites containing whatever you specify.

eg, entering the search string "preservative site:.au" would only return australian hosted sites, with .au in the address.

This can be restricted even more, down to one site.
eg "GMK inline filter site:www.aussiehomebrewer.com" only returns a few results from this forum about the GMK filters.

You can find more info here.

here endeth the lesson

barfridge said:
Alien boy said:
I'm trying to refine my googling to aussie beers only.Any hints or tips appreciated.
[post="56107"][/post]​

One handy litte hint. Use the google site: function. This restricts the search to only sites containing whatever you specify.

eg, entering the search string "preservative site:.au" would only return australian hosted sites, with .au in the address.

This can be restricted even more, down to one site.
eg "GMK inline filter site:www.aussiehomebrewer.com" only returns a few results from this forum about the GMK filters.

You can find more info here.

here endeth the lesson
[post="56112"][/post]​

Just get the google toolbar if you have IE - it does all this for you.

Pedro

or just use safari on an apple cause the google search is in built

Alien boy said:
Kai,
Thats what i thought too,hence my research to get to the bottom of this possible myth.

I typed 'australian beer preservatives' into google and got a myriad of sites related to micros and coopers.
All of them make a point of saying their products are free from preservatives.
This sort of implies that other major brewers are using preservatives.or its just marketing bullshit ie :eek:ur product is preservative free is just used to make you suspicious of other's products, and trust only theirs.Which makes it a baseless statement.

I'd shoot for marketing bullshit. It's easy to proclaim that your product is free of something that's not allowed anyway, and it has the added benefit of casting doubt on your competitors' products.

Don't companies have to tell you if you ask them? Why not just ring up CUB etc and see what they say.

Latest posts

Back