Preopened yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty McFly

Reaction score
Evening chaps/chapettes,

Quick question regarding a Coopers sachet of yeast from an original stout can.

I opened it about two weeks ago and used it for some cider, then closed it and clamped a peg on it. I was going to use it in the next few days, alongside a yeast sachet from a Coopers pale ale kit.

Will it be okay? Or is it unwise to use it seeing as it's been open for two weeks? Also, will it be okay alongside the pale ale yeast? Is it the same stuff?

Thanks guys.

If you clamped it shut immediately I'd personally be happy to use it, provided it had been kept in a clean area. AFAIK it's the same yeast in both kits. Sure there may be a couple of bacteria from the air that settled on it while it was open, but the same could be said for sugar you have weighed out to use, or even the water you add to the kit. However as sp0rk says there are dried yeasts available that will give you better results with a better pitching rate.

Sadly, I can't afford to be blowing money on yeast right now - though I totally would if I could. It was even a battle to decide to buy everything for a brew.

I'd say it's in good condition if that's the case, Bribie. It's clamped well and been sitting at the top of my cupboard which is clean.

If you're so poor, start washing and repitching
or pitching straight on top of the previous yeast cake
Free yeast for the next 5ish generations
that or find a mate that drinks coopers and reculture the yeast from his bottles

The yeast itself should be fine but I would of thought that one sachet in itself is generally on the low end of scale. Splitting one packet in half to use in two batches would be under pitching and I wouldn't recommend it. Don't want to spend money on yeast , then yes look into making starters.

I was going to use a whole yeast sachet that I picked up today with my can & also add 1/2 of a leftover yeast sachet that I had. The only reason I had the 1/2 pack is because I made a really small batch of cider with it. I didn't need the rest.

I think I will try that re culturing gig though, sounds good.

Well if you want to save money, when the brew is done and bottled, swirl the yeast cake and any remaining beer at the bottom of the fermenter until it turns into a soup, then fill a couple of sanitised 600ml soft drink or mineral water plastic bottles right up to the top and stash them in the fridge door, they will keep for many weeks and you can just pour them into a brew to kick them off.

If you move away from kits and go extract or all grain this skill will stand you in good stead.

I eat a lot of polski orgorki(pickles), so i've been using the jars to store my washed yeast lately
I've got about 6 of them there, which is about enough to store a full batch worth of yeast and trub
i then rinse them down and transfer the yeast back and forth over the next few days until i have 1 jar with a large amount of yeast and bugger all trub
this then goes into the keg fridge with my kegs and collection of other yeasts
i know it's probably a bit of overkill, but it's been working well

I used to split dry yeast packs regularly for small batches (now I just pitch gargantuan amounts of yeast FTW) and never had any issues.

Used rubber bands around the tightly rolled up packet and stored in a sandwich bag in the fridge.

I seal dry yeast packets with masking tape. I once used a packet of S04 that had been in the fridge for about 5 years which had been sealed in such a way and it fired up like a rocket.

I pitched a pinch of that yeast just a moment ago, then quickly stopped as I noticed a sour smell coming from it as I was pitching it. I only added about 1 gram. It was a bit unpleasant, but not too bad, just sour. I do know however that yeast usually smells a bit crazy. The fresh sachet I also used didn't smell like that.

I haven't stuffed another brew have I? Because I may just cry if I have. I just want beer dammit!

The best way not to ruin batches is by not skimping on the basics e.g. sanitation and yeast. Seriously not worth wasting the ingredients and time for a $3 pack of kit yeast.

Latest posts

Back