Preopened yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True story, up until the early 80s convenience stores near the notorious Musgrave Park in Brisbane used to keep metho in the drinks cabinet along with cans of beetroot. Mix metho with the juice and drink like wine then eat the beetroot. Probably the only thing keeping them alive.

Lets say, hypothetically, that I didn't want to drink metho. Would the beer I just made be a viable alternative?

Besides - metho and coffee is where it's at. Get with the times, guys.

I strongly suspect that you're already making it.

Show your beer some love, mang.

I went to a few parties in West Ballina in my teens where people were drinking metho cruisers
metho, raspberry cordial and a little water
*shudders*
never got that desperate to try it, myself

Metho tends not to have any methanol in it these days for that exact reason. Most metho is ethyl alcohol or ethanol or booze. Not that I would drink it though.

Apparently they add a strong bittering agent to make it 'unpalatable'.....probably wouldn't make a bad bitter cocktail??

Matty McFly said:
Really? Wouldn't that result in a mild case of death?

Also, just to clarify, is my ale dead? Have I ruined it?
Have you tasted a hydrometer sample? You've probably underpitched so may have stressed out yeasties. Your beer will probably be beer, but maybe not the same beer you could have made. My advice? If you only pitched a pinch of yeast, rehydrate and pitch more. Then let it ferment out and see where you end up. If you pitched all your yeast, same advice, let it do its thing and see if you want to bottle it when it's done.

Edit: if your beer is shit, make like Walter White and grab a methspresso

I pitched the whole sachet that came with the tin, but I also pitched about 1g from an older, already opened sachet that I had spare. My intention was to have extra yeast, as one sachet is apparently not enough. However, when i noticed it smelt a bit sour, I stopped and threw it away just in case.

I just wanna know if that older yeast will ruin my beer.

Who knows?? If your old batch was infected, it may or may not ruin your beer. Had you pitched an appropriate amount of yeast, the yeasties probably would have outcompeted any stray nasties you may have introduced. Just keep an eye on the appearance and taste of your fermenting wort. You may even end up with a nice sour.

I think the moral here is not to skimp on the yeast. The dry stuff is pretty cheap (~$5) and keeps for a long time in the fridge.

IMO the smell of fermentation could always be described as "sour", though there's also sour relative to the smell of fermentation (sour squared?). I reckon you'll have something drinkable & probably have learned something along the way; yeast health is vital, but with care and re-culturing/re-pitching can be really cheap.

I'm yet to re-use yeast, or split packs, but I'm definitely going to look at establishing a yeast library for cost & convenience sake,

Latest posts

Back