Preferred Serving Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm sure this must have come up (at least once) in the past but couldn't find anything. I know serving temp is a very contentious topic and that there is no single "right temperature" and that everyone has different preferences. I just want to start a discussion about what temp you prefer (maybe it depends on the style) and why. Remember kids, there's no wrong answer.

Thread here has plenty of discussion.
I serve petty much everything I brew @ 4c myself.

Andrew

I actually think there's something more to this that may indicate the style of beer you're pre disposed to enjoy.

My beer fridge is set at 1 deg. To me, cold is a flavour. From a fizzy Belgian to a murky stout.

Purists with superior palate development may wish to lash out at me over this.

My first sip is ~6C, my last anywhere from 10-20C.

I made a dark ale and forgot to change my ale serving temp of 4 degrees. The penny dropped when I had left a beer for a while and came back to drink it. The warmer temps really opened up the flavours, so I promptly changed the serving temp to 8 degrees.

My brother in law came over and saw the 8 degrees on the fridge and asked it I was a pommy serving beer that warm. He still drank it though. Free-loading *******... ha ha

My fridge atm is set to 5 degrees. I have 3 kegs in it carbed at around 90-100kpa.

If I have a keg of pommy beer I will pour it into a jug so that it warms up a bit and loses a bit of carbonation.

Definitely tastes better towards the end.

Usually 7-12 unless it's a very hot day in which case closer to 4.
Anyone who thinks that's warm should try a 10 degree bath.

I love winter. I can just pull a beer out of a box in the back room and it is good to go.

Whatever temp that is works for me.

My freezer is set to 7C. I'll sometimes just let a beer sit for 5 (if I can manage it.) All Ales/Porters/Stouts though, no pilsner.
Seemed like a reasonable compromise temperature, between styles and with hops/yeast in there too, when I first set it and have never considered changing it.

Mine's at around 8C for everything, lagers or ales. Tastes good to me.

Seeing as how I started the thread I guess I should comment. I'm still experimenting but I think I'm going for about 8C. Warm enough to get the mellower flavours but still refreshing. I drink pretty quick (meaybe too quick according to the mrs) so even starting at 8 it doesn't get too warm by the bottom.

I love winter. I can just pull a beer out of a box in the back room and it is good to go.

Whatever temp that is works for me.

I am guilty to that as well, got to love being able to grab a bottle of stout from the cupboard and pour. Probably the only thing I miss from bottling.

Back to the OP, my fridge is pouring around 3 to 4 degrees, I like a cold beer. But I also like a my ales and it doesnt take long for your second glass to warm ;)

Cheers

Ales serve at 6'C
Lagers sit on the compressor hub at 4'C
Orsome freezer this one caters for all

I actually think there's something more to this that may indicate the style of beer you're pre disposed to enjoy.

My beer fridge is set at 1 deg. To me, cold is a flavour. From a fizzy Belgian to a murky stout.
Really?? Christ Dave, are you serious? If you are, the only thing good to come from your post was your pic of the great man himself.

A quick google and stumbled on this: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2010/...affects-flavor/

"If a flavor is desirable, it needs to be served at a temperature high enough to be detected; conversely, an undesirable flavor can sometimes be suppressed through chilling. So, if you over-chill a beer or wine that is meant to be served cool or at room temperature, you could be killing its complexity."

Does that mean only undesirable flavours come out at higher temps? Sounds like crap to me. Anyway.

Personally, I've mine set at 6 degrees. Only ales though, no lagers.

Back