Predicting Gravity After Dilution Or Concentration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
The need to perform these calculations has arisen a lot lately and I wonder if someone who already knows how to do it (or if such a calculator exists, link me)?

To visualise what I want to do... I only have pint sized (let's say I use 400ml) preserving jars and I want to store a third of them at 1.035, another third so that when diluted into a litre (a further 600ml of sterile water) they are at 1.035 and the last third so that the gravity is the same again at 2 litres (further 1600ml).

I rarely get free time, but when I do I like to maximise my productivity in order to get more done the next time I'm free. By being able to sterilise starter worts (and sterile water for top ups) this way, I can quickly select a starter jar to suit the appropriate volume and be off.

I'm certainly open to alternatives, but knowing how to perform these calculations would still come in very handy.

Cheers

Thats one of the Calculators in Brewmate. It's a free download.

Addition wort gravity in points = target gravity divided by addition wort volume

.035 / .4 = .0875

so 400ml of 1.087 wort added to 600ml water = 1L of 1.035 wort

To make 2L 1.035 wort instead you need your addition wort to be twice as strong
2x.0875 = 1.175

so 400ml of 1.175 wort added to 1.6L water should = 2L of 1.035 wort

Unless I forgot to carry something ;)

Alternatively you can use the dilutiori calculator in promash - may be something similar in other brew software too.

The need to perform these calculations has arisen a lot lately and I wonder if someone who already knows how to do it (or if such a calculator exists, link me)?

To visualise what I want to do... I only have pint sized (let's say I use 400ml) preserving jars and I want to store a third of them at 1.035, another third so that when diluted into a litre (a further 600ml of sterile water) they are at 1.035 and the last third so that the gravity is the same again at 2 litres (further 1600ml).

I rarely get free time, but when I do I like to maximise my productivity in order to get more done the next time I'm free. By being able to sterilise starter worts (and sterile water for top ups) this way, I can quickly select a starter jar to suit the appropriate volume and be off.

I'm certainly open to alternatives, but knowing how to perform these calculations would still come in very handy.
Cheers

Are these just for starters?

If so using the basic starter rule 10g LME to 100ml water you can work out it easy.
For the jars to be left at 400ml = 40g
For the jars to be diluted to 1L = 100g
For the jar to be diluted to 2L = 200g

and top up with the clean water

Don't worry about the gravity in the jar.

Otherwise any decent brew tool should allow it.

Thank you, gentlemen. I hadn't noticed the calculator in brewmate before. I can figure things out by using that and the main program. Cheers

Back