Pre-tap Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I've been thinking. :(

If a randall doesn't lose CO2 in the beer due to the pressure in the system, and with the Aldi randall just being a filter anyway, could we use a 1 micron filter as a randall & filter (and add hop aroma) realtime. That way we do not need to stuff around pre-filtering the beer when filling a keg. Obviously this limits it to only the one tap being filtered.

QldKev

Think you'd have issues with the 1 micron filter clogging with hops, as the pores are obviously much smaller than something like the Aldi Filter.... Like your thinking though :)

Cheers

The issue I would see there is by having the filter in there and forcing the beer through it at serving, you would have a shiteload of neucleation points to break the CO2 out of solution, flattening the beer.

Also, seems kinda counterproductive to me as the act of randalling the beer is probably going to introduce some level of haze due to the hop oils you will be putting into suspension.

Apart from adding hop oils would a randall have a somewhat filtering effect anyway? like a hop-back does?

Latest posts

Back