Pre/post Cfc Chiller Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
Hi brewers!

I was thinking about making a pre chiller in a esky before I go into a cfc and then wort back into a esky with another coil before it enters the fermenter.

so in one direction it would go.
Water Tap > pre chiller > CFC > down the drain.

and the other way would be.

Kettle > CFC > Post chiller > fermenter

The plan is to chill the wort (ohhh Durrrr!) as low as I can get so I can pitch straight away, I was thinking about just pumping the water in a esky then into a immersion chiller and back again, The problem with that is the hot water after the heat exchange would melt the ice.

this way the water / wort is not at its hottest and the ice should keep a bit longer.

any one done this before or am I over engineering things?

What temp are you aiming for out of the CFC? I don't seem to have any problem hitting my desired temps with my CFC.

Hi brewers!

I was thinking about making a pre chiller in a esky before I go into a cfc and then wort back into a esky with another coil before it enters the fermenter.

so in one direction it would go.
Water Tap > pre chiller > CFC > down the drain.

and the other way would be.

Kettle > CFC > Post chiller > fermenter

The plan is to chill the wort (ohhh Durrrr!) as low as I can get so I can pitch straight away, I was thinking about just pumping the water in a esky then into a immersion chiller and back again, The problem with that is the hot water after the heat exchange would melt the ice.

this way the water / wort is not at its hottest and the ice should keep a bit longer.

any one done this before or am I over engineering things?

I think you are making it too complicated. Unless the water going into the CFC is hugely different temp to the water used in the post chiller, I don't see the point. Unless I am missing something, the most efficient method (heat exchange this is) would be to use the coldest water possible going into the CFC, otherwise you are chilling extra bits of pipe that isn't required (this is the post-chiller). Perhaps you need to play with the flow rater of the wort vs the CFC water to get the optimum temp drop. I think ice water going into the CFC at a reasonable high rate with the wort going about half that rate would get it to lager temps on the output of the CFC.

I think I must be missing something here.

Latest posts

Back