Pre-Made Mash Tuns (100L)Q

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch.flint

Reaction score
I'm looking to set up a 3 vessel HERMS. I'm not particularly handy but I've already got a fair bit of equipment so I don't want to splash out and buy a full rig which will probably cost me 5g. I've got a 100lSS ex wine tank which I've been using as my entire brewing set up. Which means I have to drain into cubes after my mash and clean it then return for the boil (removing the false floor) etc. This is a really labour intensive process and I've been struggling to be motivated to brew for the last month or so.

Basically I'm ready to spend some cash on new equipment to make life easy. So what I'm thinking is I'll buy a new mash tun, HLT, frame, pump etc for a set up. I don't want to build each component from scratch but haven't seen many options of prefab stuff. Beerbelly has this mash tun:

http://shop.beerbelly.com.au/equipment/vessels/mashtun-98-litre-insulated-stainless-steel.html

It looks awesome and would suit what I want but I live in QLD and it's a lot of cash before adding what I imagine is expensive freight. If anyone knows of some other options could you let me know. Also if anyone wants some work and loves building this kind of stuff then I would consider paying someone to put a rig together for me from scratch (incorporating my current equipment).

the only option to do it reasonably cheaply, unfortunately is to build it, not sure if Ross stocks similar to that you have linked. Had a bit of a look but couldnt find one. Maybe give him a call and see if he knows of anything about the area?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100L-UNREAL-COOLERS-ICE-BOX-ESKY-CAMPING-FREEZER-STORAGE-NEW-/400539819041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d42089c21&_uhb=1 I got an 80lt one of these recently as an upgrade from a 45lt esky so I had most of the parts to build the new one + a bit of copper to re-build the manifold.

The HERMS is where you will need a hand as they can be a bit of an effort to get right, element fitted (mine uses an OTS element), coil made and fitted etc. Many people use variations on Nev's HERMIT and personally Im going to head down the CHUGGER PUMP road. (Still on a 24V Little brown Pump currently)

essentially, IMO it's a matter of deciding what you want, how you want to do it and getting the bits wherever you can and surrendering a few brew days to get it built. (Hopefully you can find someone to assist) It helped me looking through the Brew Rigs thread to give me some ideas on how I wanted it to run and then adapting a setup to my situation.

With any luck, someone near you will upgrade to a BM or something and want to get rid of their system for cheap and you can jump in that way.

Cheers

ibrew sell the blichmann mash tuns, I've got a 57l and its a great bit of kit. I think they only have bigger ones at present, got mine direct from the states.

Latest posts

Back