Power Supply Help For Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big78sam

Frequent poster - My post count is no reflection o
Reaction score
I bought one of these

http://www.brewershardware.com/Brewers-Har...ernational.html

It says I need a power adaptor that puts out 9-12V at around 200mA. The only adaptor I have at home that fits is the one for my old laptop but it says it puts out 19V at 3.42A (does that look right?). Not sure if it puts out AC or DC. When testing if the plug fits I accidentally turned it on and it worked OK for a few seconds but I don't want to burn out the stir plate. Will this adaptor work OK?

If you can wait for post from the slowest postage coutry around, these are $3 posted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-100-240V-DC-...=item20bb364cba

When you order one get a spare.
They are great for all those jobs
- fan to run stir plate
- fan in kegerator
- fan in fermenting fridge
- fan in biltong maker
- electronics projects
- fan behind those amps that keep getting hot
- etc

Don't use the 19v charger, the fan is likely 12v and will be burnt out
Experience speaking here :(

Old mobile phone charger runs the computer fan in my keezer. Just cut and strip wires. Too easy. Free if you have an old one lying around.

As has already been said, don't use the 19V charger - it's likely to burn the fan out pretty quickly. You want 9-12V and anything rated at or higher than 200mA (0.2A). Check your mobile phone charger or anything that uses a plugpack (monitor, modem, telephone base, dustbuster charging station). Anything over 200mA will supply enough power, and the fan will only draw what it needs (so you're better off sourcing a 12V 2A power supply that can be used for other things later on, rather than specifically looking for a 200mA supply). Good places are ebay and your local op shop. I find Jaycar and Dick Smiths to be too pricey to be worthwhile. Otherwise post something on freecycle in your local area, and there's often people willing to give them away.

Thanks for the help all. I definitely won't use the 19V one and will buy one. The ebay unit looks good!

i disagree, standard post is REALLY fast from hong kong, Faster than a parcel 'express' posted from say qld (craft brewer) to perth.

Post must take a long time to hit Wait Awhile from Qld

Most ebay crap from Hong Kong/China take 4 to 6 weeks to hit my doorstep.

My servo motors ordered 2 Dec only got here yesterday

QldKev

I disagree to must R/C parts I used to get from hong kong are 5-7 working days to my door standard post and thats only couple $ anyway. Parts from Australia take 3-10 days with tracking numbers, seems they are a bit slack on the postal service local. Of coarse if your not near a major international air port then Aus post have to get there hands on it and ship it from the closest one that could take 2 weeks. I got a filter shipped from USA it spent 2 weeks on a boat and 3 weeks in customs in australia then another 3 days to get it to my door, when they finally decided they will release it. Lucky I was tracking it or I would of been onto the people that sent it and they prob would of sent a new one at there expense (this has happened to me before) then they find out you get the first one and have to post it back at your expense.

Hey guys the recycling centres around should and often do have a heap of old phone chargers ... as well as computer fans .. I went to the on win Balcatta (Perth) and asked if I could remove a fan unit and they said no problems ... until I was sprung with half a dozen ... for $2 .. now they raid the computers and put all the fans in a box as well as cables and stuff .... worth a look anyway .. anyway for $2 I was still pretty happy but the other option is do a search for council kerbside pick ups .. I have at least 4 computers and a heap of fans and power cables etc ... a gold mine if you have 10 mins to search on the way home .. put a phillip head screwdriver in your car and head off !!! WWWWOOOOOOOOOO .... its the bomb .. who knows you may just pick up a fridge with a 4 inch shank and a perlick tap on it like I did !! ... Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet ...

Hey guys the recycling centres around should and often do have a heap of old phone chargers ... as well as computer fans .. I went to the on win Balcatta (Perth) and asked if I could remove a fan unit and they said no problems ... until I was sprung with half a dozen ... for $2 .. now they raid the computers and put all the fans in a box as well as cables and stuff .... worth a look anyway .. anyway for $2 I was still pretty happy but the other option is do a search for council kerbside pick ups .. I have at least 4 computers and a heap of fans and power cables etc ... a gold mine if you have 10 mins to search on the way home .. put a phillip head screwdriver in your car and head off !!! WWWWOOOOOOOOOO .... its the bomb .. who knows you may just pick up a fridge with a 4 inch shank and a perlick tap on it like I did !! ... Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet ...
So you are the bugger thats ruined my run at Ballcatta. Dam you Ledgenko . I still pick up some nice old Mercury outboards from that place. I dont need computer parts so go for it.
Nev

+1 slow slow postage but suitable for driving my home madestir plate and fan in keezer etc. Could cut and rewire appropriate plug if needed.

Got one for my keg fridge

Might order a couple more :)

Latest posts

Back