Powells Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
OK...

Received this Information from Powells Malts in Romsey - Victoria.

There is a description of their process, range and about their Business.

Prices are:
- 30.00 for 25kg bags of Basic Malt - Pilsner, ALe, Munich etc.
- 35.00 for 25kg for the other malts - Maleadoin, wheat etc.

No Affliation - just thought i would share this info around.

Also, they are happy to have Homebrewers stop by and check out the process/malts and you even get to turn some.
AS far as i know - Holgate Brewhouse in Woodend - near by - usses these malts and makes some nice beer.

View attachment Powells_Malts.ZIP

I have brewed my last 2 brews with powells malt,

so far i found it cracks fine, efficency was high, and tasted great into the ferementer (hard to judge on that)

The first brew is almost ready to keg ~ 1week then i can update.

found their malts a bit darker than JW esp the munich and i think ale.

their malt details seem a bit vague with the moisture les than like 4.5 % as u dont want too much moisture in the malt or gonna have problems

I plan to oneday contact them for further details but at the moment no time

For me (melbourne) at least we know its rather fresh! and my bag of malt is half gone in about a week :)

has anybody ordered from the Powells malt direct? I'm interested in about 40kg (2 bags), and i live in Melbourne so postage is free, or is it best for me to get it from grain + grape for an extra $5?

Hi Voota

I've just placed an order direct with Powells for some malt to be delivered to Adelaide. They have been very helpful and are happy to deal directly with homebrew co-ops. So far I've been pleased with their customer service, particularly considering we would be a very minor part of their sales.

However as I was ordering for a group of brewers we ended up getting 500kg (1 pallet), no idea if they will sell direct for small quantities.

Cheers
MAH

voota said:
has anybody ordered from the Powells malt direct? I'm interested in about 40kg (2 bags), and i live in Melbourne so postage is free, or is it best for me to get it from grain + grape for an extra $5?
[post="57603"][/post]​

According to the sheet delivery is free of charge in the Melbourne metropolitan area for orders greater than 1 tonne

Ok, thanks guys, I'll just pick it up from G&G.

I beleive that Powells will deal direct with you.
It was covered here.

cheers
johnno

voota said:
[post="57603"][/post]​
Voota I have ordered bags directly from Powells no problem. If you are in the Eastern suburbs then give Vermont Fuel and Produce. They have bags for $30 each. They don't have some of the specialty malts and don't expect any brewing advice or other stuff. I suggest you ring them first.

They also sell by the kg, @ $1.50.

If you are in the western suburbs then G&G are the go I believe.

I'm in the city, i'll buy it from G&G as thats where i get all my ingredients from, It says on their website that they sell 25kg for $35 ($1.40 per kg), so thats cheaper than from Powells ($1.50 per kg. in 20kg bags). It doesn't really make sense. Thanks for your help guys.

voota said:
I'm in the city, i'll buy it from G&G as thats where i get all my ingredients from, It says on their website that they sell 25kg for $35 ($1.40 per kg), so thats cheaper than from Powells ($1.50 per kg. in 20kg bags). It doesn't really make sense. Thanks for your help guys.
[post="57697"][/post]​
Voota,
1 bag (25kg) for $30
$1.50/kg when you buy it in smaller quantities.

Another point worth noting is that their malt is FLOOR MALTED - and anyone who has used Marris Otter would appreciate that distinction!

Does anybody know if they sell their malt on premises? I visit rellies nearby and a short detour could get me to their front door and thus avoid freight costs to Canberra...

Feedback from the club brewers is that it's good stuff with a slightly lower efficiency but great crack, sparge and taste...

TL

Hi TL,
I,m Pretty sure they do door sales. There is a link a few posts up with their contact details.

cheers
johnno

Thanks Johnno,
I checked out their website but it doesn't mention maltster door sales or a price list - I've email them for more info.
TL

Trough Lolly said:
I checked out their website but it doesn't mention maltster door sales or a price list - I've email them for more info.
[post="57792"][/post]​
TL please do. Grant and co are a pretty friendly bunch and quite keen to work with homebrewers. I think if you gave them a bit of notice to bag up your order they would be only too happy to have it picked up.

Back