Powells Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Has anyone got any info on Powells Malt? I heard a story that the maltster is an ex Joe White maltster and his malts are very cheap. $1 per kg. (bulk) I think I can get my hands on this stuff but was wondering what it was like and what it profile was? Any info will help.
THANKS

STEPHEN

From what little I have heard is that his malt is not as highly modified as your other variety and is not suited or ideal for single infusion mashes. :huh:

I'm no expert.
I have used their malts in the last 3-4 brews I have made. All single infusion.
Beer comes out fine.
Even what I entered in Vicbrew. Maybe I didnt place but I was nowhere near the bottom of the categories I entered.

johnno

I've been using it for about a year now with no problems.
What's your source Devo?

I've made one brew with it a low grav Mild. IMO It's nearly as good as Marris Otter. Probably got about the same efficiency too.

For the price I reckon it's the bomb. :rolleyes:

Warren -

I haven't used Powells myself but have spoken with another brewer who used it for a decoction mash due to the degree of it's modification. Powells is apparently still a small independant malting business opereating I think from out at Romsey in Victoria, but that's as bout as much as know about it?

devo said:
I haven't used Powells myself but have spoken with another brewer who used it for a decoction mash due to the degree of it's modification. Powells is apparently still a small independant malting business opereating I think from out at Romsey in Victoria, but that's as bout as much as know about it?
[post="82286"][/post]​
Haven't used the Pilsner yet, but the Ale malt is definitely suitable for single-infusion mash and, in my opinion, very similar to English floor malted malt. The wheat is similarly good. I've been using it for about a year now, and there is no way I'd go back to Whites, or pay the extra for imported.

I am extremely happy with Powells malt

I organized the bulk buy and bought 125kg myself.
I had none of the problems some other brewers speak of.

My Alt and my Scottish Ale that made it too the nationals both where brewed using 100% powells malt.

When it all gone I will doing another bulk buy for Queensland brewers

Great to get malt at an affordable price

Go Powells :super:

Batz

devo said:
From what little I have heard is that his malt is not as highly modified as your other variety and is not suited or ideal for single infusion mashes. :huh:
[post="82271"][/post]​
I regularly use it in single infusion mashes and have no complaints. Having said that for a pommy ale I might use some native crystal.

Just had a taste of a Powells malt ale from primary (12 days today) and very pleased so far.

I've done 5 brews with the powells pilsner now and am happy with the results. I did however find I was getting around 5-8% lower efficency however that could be caused elsewhere...

VERY HAPPY WITH THE MALT, esp at the price it came.

Looking forward to the next bulk buy....

sluggerdog said:
I've done 5 brews with the powells pilsner now and am happy with the results. I did however find I was getting around 5-8% lower efficency however that could be caused elsewhere...

[post="82959"][/post]​
I believe the champion beer of Vicbrew 2005 was brewed with powells malt, at least for base malts. I can't say for sure, till I see his recipe but he buys the stuff by the bag full.

sosman said:
sluggerdog said:

[post="82959"][/post]​
I believe the champion beer of Vicbrew 2005 was brewed with powells malt, at least for base malts. I can't say for sure, till I see his recipe but he buys the stuff by the bag full.
[post="82960"][/post]​
The 2nd place getter in British Ales certainly was.

Have finshed my stocks of Powells ale malt (from QLD Bulk buy, thanks to Batz). Can only compare with JW Trad Ale as I haven't used the imports. Wow, I almost cried using the last of this wonderfull malt. We be very keen to get some more. Now to start on the pilsner and wheat bags :).

nonicman said:
Have finshed my stocks of Powells ale malt (from QLD Bulk buy, thanks to Batz). be very keen to get some more.

I you think of bulk buying any more nonicman, count me in. I am only :) 20min down the road from you. Used my last 5kg yesterday.

bindi said:
nonicman said:
Have finshed my stocks of Powells ale malt (from QLD Bulk buy, thanks to Batz). be very keen to get some more.

I you think of bulk buying any more nonicman, count me in. I am only :) 20min down the road from you. Used my last 5kg yesterday.
[post="93064"][/post]​

I'm in too, only have around 2 brews left of my last order. Will be ordered triple what I ordered last time...

Bindi, That will be on the cards, not sure when as we have to get a few numbers inorder to make the order work.

Back