Powells Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racemate

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just recently arrived in Australia and am just starting to brew again, I'm having bits and pieces arrive from the states and when they do will get into it full on again. I'm looking for a good (and hopefully cheap) source of malt available on the Gold Coast. I've emailed Grant Powell and he's quoted me $285 for 150kg of malt delivered by rail. My question is what has been the results with those of you that have brewed with Powell's? I've seen varying comments in the post search that I've done but not much of a consensus. Alternatively, does anyone know other sources of malt on the Gold Coast?
I've tried many of the local brew shops and they all seem to cater only to extract brewers. Any responses appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

I have used Powells malts and find them fine,

i have about 5-7 bags of it at home, and have used ~4 before this. the beers have turned out well.

The german malts were much better in my bock etc, (however i have not done the same beer with powells so i cant really judge)

and i gather the english are better for your bitters but you have to look at the price difference and in that case i say their(powells) best value (and fresh) :chug:

HI. Brewers Choice Chapel Hill (formerly Western Suburbs Home Brew) and Stafford carry a bunch of grain and can source others that are needed. Cheers David

I have been mashing on the Gold Coast for 3 years now, used to get my grain from western suburbs homebrew in brisbane, however since Mel left and the management changed, I have found the new 'attitude' there very lame. I talked to Mike from Mikes homebrew in Beenleigh about all grain brewing, he became really enthusiastic and started to carry Joe white grains, he also purchased a phil mill from the grain and grape in melbourne. So I now go to Mike for all my grain, saves the extra driving + I can deal with someone I trust....I'am not connected in any way with Mike or his shop, just stoked to see a HBS owner getting stoked on all grain brewing.....

Racemate, PM me, I would be keen to to get some bulk malt with you. I also have about 10 liquid yeast strains in the fridge, no problem to give you some clean slurry.....

Cheers

I'm very happy with the results I've been getting from Powell's Pale Ale Malt - very similar to the UK (floor malted) malt I'm used to (from Tucker's of Newton Abbot) and better (IMO) than most generic UK malt. If you're of the school that believes Maris Otter is significantly better than other malts then you're not going to be happy with anything other than Fawcett's, but otherwise go for it. Personally (like the majority of UK commercial breweries of all sizes) I'm not convinced that Maris Otter is significantly better. Powells is certainly closer to quality UK malt than Joe Whites. And cheap.

Back