Powell's Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about a trip down to collect a trailer load? Would be a trip to remember and bring back a trailer full for the other keen Queensland brewers.
I'll be in for later in the year,offer my vehicle as well.
Seriously guys this could be a lotta fun.

Batz

That could be some road trip! Catching up with AHBers along the way. :beerbang:

I'm just around the corner, so beers and bbq at my place for your turning point. :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ken

That could be some road trip! Catching up with AHBers along the way. :beerbang:

I'm just around the corner, so beers and bbq at my place for your turning point. :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ken

I can see this being a goer brewers! Four bad boys reqiured.
Batz

The maltings is open to any and all-comers, but give them a call to make sure they're around.

Top work benny. When my latest stocks get low I'm there - been itching to try this malt. Heard from some pretty experienced brewers around the traps that this stuff comes up very nicely, and the posts above from others confirm it. Excellent!

Hopper.

i just tasted the munich dunkel I made with 100% powels munich ... I have to say that the malt profile is very very nice indeed. lovely bready crusty aromas and dark fruit complexity. Very tasty.

but - I haven't made a dunkel before... so its a one off opinion rather than a true comparison - and assuming specs equal to weyerman munich, it knocked about 10% out of my efficiency. The lowest I've ever gotten.

So, I'd say its lovely tasting malt... but my experience (the whole one of them :rolleyes: ) tallies with the guys who are saying you need to expect a lower extract yield.

I've done around 10 brews now with Powells (previously from G&G) and can't complain.

The pils is certainly under modified and despite a protein rest my efficiency was still very low (57%).

I've done two SMASH brews with vienna and munich... both excellent beers, the munich especially.

Will do brew an ale of sorts for the Vic xmas swap...

Yeah, interesting that the pils malt is the only one they say is under modified. To my recollection the ale malt yielded pretty much the same efficiency as the other malts. That was back when they were floor malting everything in their old factory, so there's every chance things have changed since then.

As AndrewQLD said on the other page, the ale is some of the best stuff out there. Probably the best ale malt I have ever used, domestic or imported. The efficiency was annoying, but at the price that Powells sells for you are no worse off even after factoring that in.

Yep their ale malt is/was lovely... I got slightly less efficiency in a single step mash but from a personal standpoint I think the malt flavour was at least as good as Maris Otter in lower gravity beers. :)

I'd use it again with bells on providing the price is better than similar malts.

Warren -

Yep their ale malt is/was lovely... I got slightly less efficiency in a single step mash but from a personal standpoint I think the malt flavour was at least as good as Maris Otter in lower gravity beers. :)

I'd use it again with bells on providing the price is better than similar malts.

Warren -

Hi Warren,

Looks like you're in luck.... Powells Ale it's just under $49 a sack compared to Joe White @ $74 & Simpsons M.O. @ $95 at your local HBS G&G :)

cheers Ross

Hi Warren,

Looks like you're in luck.... Powells Ale it's just under $49 a sack compared to Joe White @ $74 & Simpsons M.O. @ $95 at your local HBS G&G :)

cheers Ross

Ross you need only mention the price of a bag of Powells (and thanks for that). Unfortunately your comparison prices for JW and MO just reek of competitive sarcasm. Bit infantile :(

Warren -

Does anybody know any retailers in Sydney that sell this malt these days? I remember Gerard could get it when he was running ND Brewing, but haven't seen it up here other than that.

TD Why don't you drop a line to one of the Qld chaps? They seem to be lamenting its loss. Perhaps some sort of Qld/NSW bulk buy with a divvy up at the border or similar might be a go. It is a lovely malt for the price. I'm sure you'd have a lot of takers. :)

Warren -

Road trip!!

I can just see us all divvying up a pallet of grain at the border! :lol:

Seriously though, if a hbs in sydney sold it i would at the very least use the ale malt for winter bitters and milds, great stuff...

Does anybody know any retailers in Sydney that sell this malt these days? I remember Gerard could get it when he was running ND Brewing, but haven't seen it up here other than that.

I grabbed a couple of bags from Gerard_M a couple of years ago but haven't come across it at any Sydney brew shop since then.

If you have any luck let me know, I wouldn't mind trying it again.

Cheers,

James

I grabbed a couple of bags from Gerard_M a couple of years ago but haven't come across it at any Sydney brew shop since then.

If you have any luck let me know, I wouldn't mind trying it again.

Cheers,

James
T.D. Isn't Gerard back in sydney..? You should contact him and see if he can help Jim (and yourself) out.....?

Back on topic and away from conspiracy theories...

I'd be up for a bag or two if something was organised for Sydney peeps. Surely a pallet won't cost that much to freight?

On our local freight mob, $600 per pallet space they charge

That was Melb to Gunnedah 1300kms

Latest posts

Back