Powells bulk buy ..Qld brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I had to go to Nambour today for something , I noticed a homebrew shop while driving around.
Well you have to have a look inside a HB shop don't you.

It is a privately owned shop but buy gear through Brewcraft , same old stuff inside , cans , DME , spirits stuff.

But asked the lady owner if she could get 25 kg of grain , she was more than happy to order this in and gave me a price list.

Just as an idea , M.Craft Expost Pilsner $58.50

They know nothing about A.G. but and very willing to help out with orders

"Top Drop" homebrew supplies
Geoff and Debbie

www.topdrop.biz

Same old thing here , don't know these guys from a bar of soap etc etc

Batz

Batz said:
But asked the lady owner if she could get 25 kg of grain , she was more than happy to order this in and gave me a price list.

Just as an idea , M.Craft Expost Pilsner $58.50

They know nothing about A.G. but and very willing to help out with orders

"Top Drop" homebrew supplies
Geoff and Debbie

www.topdrop.biz

Same old thing here , don't know these guys from a bar of soap etc etc

Batz

I have seen their website Batz, but have never called in. This seems promising :super: & better than a trip to Brissie. Don't suppose you quizzed them on specialty malts?
Caloundra HBS isn't interested in AG stuff & reckons that Stews at M'dore isn't too keen either on keeping grain prices down with a combined order. Hope you have solved our problem.

Stew's are willing to order in grain ($60 for JW Trad Ale), they will not keep grain in stock. After a few trips to Brisbane I've concluded that ordering via the LHBS is a better option. The shops that have grain in Brisbane, don't have it on display, if they can tell what they have in stock (yes one shop had heaps of grain, just that they didn't know what they had) the price is way over the top ($75 for a 25kg of JW Trad Ale on the weekend).
I'll be placing my order with Bill at Stew's, or if that doesn't work out I'll give the Nambour shop a run. Going to Brisbane IMHO is a waste of time.

We seem to have a bit of a struggle here in Qld as far as obtaining grains, and the price we have to pay, $60 a bag compared to Sydney $45 a bag. Thats a pretty big difference! Don't get me wrong, I understand that lhbs has to pay frieght, it's just a shame we don't have a wholesaler in Brissy prepared to sell bulk grain (1-2 bags) cheaply. I will be driving to sydney Xmas time and plan to bring back 3-4 bags, hopefully that will hold me over till my next trip.

nonicman said:
Stew's are willing to order in grain ($60 for JW Trad Ale), they will not keep grain in stock. After a few trips to Brisbane I've concluded that ordering via the LHBS is a better option. The shops that have grain in Brisbane, don't have it on display, if they can tell what they have in stock (yes one shop had heaps of grain, just that they didn't know what they had) the price is way over the top ($75 for a 25kg of JW Trad Ale on the weekend).
I'll be placing my order with Bill at Stew's, or if that doesn't work out I'll give the Nambour shop a run. Going to Brisbane IMHO is a waste of time.

What shop was that nonicman? I am collecting my 25kg bag on the 5th & was quoted $57 a 25kg bag.
I hope that the Nambour HBS works out for specialty malts as well as base. Maybe if all goes well Andrew & others north could order & pick up from Nambour as it suits them. Time will tell. :D

Tidalpete said:
nonicman said:
What shop was that nonicman? I am collecting my 25kg bag on the 5th & was quoted $57 a 25kg bag.

All sorted. Yes it was the same HBS & yes, I got quoted back to front. :angry: I have cancelled the order & will buy somewhere up here.

Who would be interested in a bulk order like MAH has done from Powells ?

I have PMed MAH and it really works out well , we would have to order 25 bags , they can be mixed.

I suppose I should not quote prices here but if interested PM me , I would expect brewers would have to take at least a couple of sacks.

I'll be in ot for 5

Batz

OK guys
I am still only looking in to this , but to me it sounds good.
Already I have 13 bags accounted for , I am sure we could find homes for a pallet
load (25 bags)

What we have to think about is where to have this delivered , I am happy to have it here but..it would be a small extra cost in transport , more brewers are in Brissy , would you be happy travelling up here to collect?

These are just a couple of points .
Have a think and post your ideas , could be a brew day and collect your malt day in the hinterlands ! :party:

Batz

I would be willing to have it all delivered at my place as it would be easy as I work from home however we are planning on moving in a few weeks so I am not sure where I would be by the time it comes.

But saying this, if we do not move then I do put my place up for an option (chermside - north brisbane)

Thanks Slugger,
I am not too fussed as to where it goes , it maybe good here as some of the brewers interested are form this area or further north.

Those interested

Batz
Sluggerdog
Tidalpete
nonicman

maybe from
Hoops
Ross

So if I can get the numbers I'll go ahead with this

Batz

Pick up from your place is good for me Batz, especially if there is a brewday involved :super: . Now my wife thinks a trip down to the Hinterland ie Montville is a great idea too :(

Cheers
Andrew

Ok perhaps my place then , I will ring Powells today to get a frieght cost

Have a think what you would like guys , I would like to share 1/2 a sack of wheat malt.

Batz

I have emailed Powells to get a price on delivery here.

I'll let you know as soon as I recieve a reply , I hope we have enough interest to make this happen

Any other Queenslanders interested in being part of this bulk purchace please PM me , prices are exellent.

Batz

Batz said:
Have a think what you would like guys , I would like to share 1/2 a sack of wheat malt.
Batz

I will go halves in the wheat if the offer is still there Batz.
Just curious? Do you have to get the Powells in 25kg bags or can you order other sizes as long as the total is 500kg? A lot of brewers up here may not have used Powells before :unsure: so a chance to try the various malts in the smaller bags before committing to a 25kg sack next time may encourage others to commit to this buy. Just a thought. :)

It will come in sacks 25kg Slugger , I am happy to take a sack of everything , the wheat is the only one I want to split as I use only small amounts of this , I don't brew wheat beers.

Others may want to split some sacks up , we do need to buy 25 bags/one pallet load.

One of the SA boys worked out he got enough grain to do 20x23 litre brews
Works out at around $6.00 per AG brew , now no matter how you do your maths that's bloody good value !

Batz

I'll be up for 4 bags, 2x Ale, 1x Organic Pilsner, 1x Wheat. If need be I could maybe stretch and go another bag or two.

Back