Powells Ale Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabin

Reaction score
Hi all,

just a quick question, i'm about to attempt JZ's american amber ale recipe this weekend, the recipe calls for british pale ale malt, however i have ordered the powell's ale malt, as i managed to convince myself at the time of ordering that the cost of the stuff was pretty good...but now i'm having doubts about my decision. is there anything i need to modify with the recipe at all? is it going to work ok?

Hi all,

just a quick question, i'm about to attempt JZ's american amber ale recipe this weekend, the recipe calls for british pale ale malt, however i have ordered the powell's ale malt, as i managed to convince myself at the time of ordering that the cost of the stuff was pretty good...but now i'm having doubts about my decision. is there anything i need to modify with the recipe at all? is it going to work ok?

Jabos, if that is your real name :rolleyes: relax. You'll hear a lot of comments about grain .. just say to yourself - Joe White, Powells etc ... 1st class A1 products. Better than that imported foreign rubbish ! That way you won't be lying to yourself.

Think patriotically, Australian barley growers sow rings around any other growers in the world !!!

Go find the very recent thread (like yesterday) Weyermanns v Joe White for reassurance.

Powells Ale is fantastic malt. Don't think because its cheap that it is in some way inferior. I think its the closes domestic malt to UK ale malt that is available. Its floor malted too. I haven't used it in a while but I distinctly remember the incredible smell when I first opened the bag. Top stuff.

One thing you need to consider is it is not very well modified so your efficiency may be a bit lower than with other brands. So just add an extra 10% or so to the grist to acount for that. Otherwise, some brewers have had some success with step mashes to get efficiency up a bit too.

hi guys,

thanks for the replies, just had a bit of a spak attack, my last brew did not turn out as well as i would have liked, due to my dodgy diy recipe, but sounds like it should be all good, i'll post back with the results once she's under way

Latest posts

Back